I went HD-DVD for Universal - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2008, 12:47 PM

Default I went HD-DVD for Universal

and we still have that. I chose sides based on the movies I wanted to watch. It helped that HD-DVD players are cheaper, but I picked based on movies.

Yeah, I'm a little peeved about the Warner Bros. news. Part of me wished I had chosen Blu-ray so I wouldn't currently be on the "losing" side. But then I calmed down and thought, "Even if I had originally gone Blu-ray, I still currently would not be able to enjoy all my Universal movies."

I don't know how long Universal will stick with HD-DVD, but until any announcement, any assuming that they're leaving is speculation.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, even if I had a Blu-ray player and not an HD-DVD player right now, I still wouldn't be happy because I wouldn't be able to watch the Universal movies I love.

Coincidentally, just before Warner Bros. made the announcement, I started to go purple by buying some Blu-ray movies on sale with the intent of buying a Blu-ray player. Now I will obviously continue this plan of action.

Until (if?) Universal goes Blu-ray and every Universal movie I currently own on HD-DVD is available on Blu-ray, only then will I be sad about my HD-DVD player.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:10 PM

Excellent point, and I agree. This is why I say that if any major studio sticks to their guns, HD DVD will still have a place since true cinephiles want to be able to watch all movies. Additionally, inevitably adding HD DVD playback to Blu-ray players will become more economical which will continue to ensure it existence (unless the studios go Blu, which is always a possibility - but we will likely be able to get a reading on that in the near future).
Old 01-05-2008, 01:11 PM

Hopefully Universal and Paramount will start releasing all their good oldies
Old 01-05-2008, 01:14 PM

HD DVD is still alive and well.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:28 PM

I want Back to the Future more than anything.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:45 PM

can't wait for Universal to go Blu, only a matter of time now
Old 01-05-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectdark View Post
can't wait for Universal to go Blu, only a matter of time now
Have fun waiting.

I went HD DVD for Riddick and Fast and the Furious both from Universal. Ill follow Uni. As for Warner they already gave me The Matrix so they can go to hell