is anyone upset at microsoft? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2008, 04:47 AM

Default is anyone upset at microsoft?

Like most HD DVD fans Im feeling hurt and upset right now.

I like microsoft for the support they have given, they didnt have to give any.

However, I find myself thinking how if they had included the HD DVD player in the Xbox 360 Elite like the rumor was (and it would make sense) this format war would likely be very different right now.

It seems to me they talked strong but didnt come strong.

Discuss
Old 01-05-2008, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDT View Post

However, I find myself thinking how if they had included the HD DVD player in the Xbox 360 Elite like the rumor was (and it would make sense) this format war would likely be very different right now.

Discuss
Enough time left. Maybe they'll do so in the future.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:04 AM

I think they've done more than enough for Hd, without them hd would have died sooner.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:25 AM

Quote:

Discuss
Yeah, I feel exactly the same way. If Microsoft had put an HD-DVD drive in the Elite, I think it would've been good for at least another 500,000 to a million potential HD-DVD customers out there. I guess we'll never know now. I bet they had the Ultimate 360 prepped for the CES keynote speech this Sunday. And I bet they just deleted the Powerpoint slide for it once they heard WB's announcement.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:

I don't see how they could have done anymore than they have. There were good reasons as to why the Elite didn't contain an HD DVD drive, amongst those that the drives did not, at the time, spin fast enough to meet the demands of games producers. You have to remember that the Xbox360 is, unlike the PS3, first and foremost a games console and needed to remain such.

HD DVD is not MS' format, though they do support it, there's no reason for them to gimp their console with an unnecessary hi-def drive... Unlike Sony.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike 1992 View Post
I think they've done more than enough for Hd, without them hd would have died sooner.
If the stories I have read about Toshiba having decided to not even launch HD DVD after the format allegiances had been decided and changed at Microsoft's request and offer to help are true, then HD DVD would never have even been born without Microsoft. Personally, I believe the stories but I have never seen confirmation by Microsoft or Toshiba so that can only be considered rumor at this point.

Whatever the reason, probably self-centered, Microsoft offered considerable muscle to help HD DVD and should not be blamed for the failure. The only possible blame in my opinion would be for Microsoft choosing a fight against such long odds.

Chris
Old 01-05-2008, 06:57 AM

I have no hard feelings for them, they did more than was their duty. They could not have put an HD DVD player in at the beginning because that would have slowed down their release plans and reaised the price. As it was they got a running start on the PS3 for games and market. Now was the time to add a drive once the hardware was economic enough, but in light of the Warner fiasco, it is hard to say if they will do so. We will see...
Old 01-05-2008, 09:22 AM

Not including an HD-DVD drive inside the XBOX360 Elite was actually a decision made by Toshiba and not by Microsoft. It's true, you can look this information up everywhere. Toshiba as Microsofts partner didn't allow Microsoft to include a HD-DVD drive inside their Console.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:02 PM

I don't blame them for not including HDDVD with the stock Xbox. However, it's clear that the Warner/Fox decision really did come down to who had the deepest pockets, and MS, with deeper pockets than anybody, kept them closed. So it does seem that their support for HDDVD was just a smokescreen.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy View Post
I don't blame them for not including HDDVD with the stock Xbox. However, it's clear that the Warner/Fox decision really did come down to who had the deepest pockets, and MS, with deeper pockets than anybody, kept them closed. So it does seem that their support for HDDVD was just a smokescreen.
what benefit does microsoft get if they give warner 500 million? It's not like they release movies or have the patent rights to hd dvd. They would make money on vc-1 but thats about it, and not enough to cover the 500 million cost for a while. Toshiba on the other hand had everything to loose, patent rights that are useless and product that they won't get there money back on.