You Guys Don't Even Know.... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2008, 02:50 AM

Default You Guys Don't Even Know....

Want to hear the true story of how this all went down.

Here it is:

1)Warner Bros. wanted to end the format war, and have HD DVD win.
2)They knew they themselves going HD DVD exclusive would not achieve this.
3)They talked to Fox, and wanted HD DVD to strike a deal with Fox, and have Fox and Warner Bros. to go HD DVD exclusive at 2008 CES.
4)Last minute Negotiations between Fox and the BDA canceled that idea, and Fox got a large sum of cash, probably 500 Million by all accounts.
5)With Fox staying Blu Ray exclusive, Warner realized the only way to end the format war is to also go Blu Ray exclusive, so Warner reportedly accepted 500 million from the BDA.
6)HD DVD could not believe what just happened, they were close to striking a deal with Fox and Warner for HD DVD exclusivity. They had the press conference scheduled at the Wynn Las Vegas to announce the whole deal.
7)HD DVD is now forced to cancel the press conference, and basically go into hiding during CES and try to come up with some kind of back up plan.

And again people, all this happened in just the last week.

Now this is all documented through various stories online, and it is much talked about over on AVS, but I really don't feel like citing all of my sources right now, I'd rather just go to bed.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:54 AM
Formerly MrENGLISH

I doubt FoX ever really planned to drop Blu. If anything, they probably just wanted some cash from the BDA and knew this was the time to do it.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:57 AM

Never be able to prove it, but I firmly believe MUCH cash changed hands. Maybe not in out-right monetary exchange, but HUGE discounts in replication and remastering services. Let's face it, the worst format for consumers has one, viva DRM!
Old 01-05-2008, 03:05 AM

If any blu studio would jump to red, Fox would be the one to do it. Still Only speculation.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:15 AM

I love all this "inside" info he's managed to gather from the Insiders Thread over at AVS. Bravo.

Once again people, it's over.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man5 View Post
I love all this "inside" info he's managed to gather from the Insiders Thread over at AVS. Bravo.

Once again people, it's over.
Yeah. But when it's over then handle it like HD-DVD is dead and leave the HD-DVD thread forever. Shouldn't be a problem for you leaving a dead mediums Forum is it?
Old 01-05-2008, 04:33 AM

I've put in a few grand, I've got over 50+ movies, I'll say what I like about Sony buying this victory in the format war(as long as it's allowed by the format rules). When someone has screwed you as hard as Sony and Warner has just done to us, I think one is entitled to a bit of this. If it just happens to come with a heaping-helping of truth, so be it. Again, it's over. No amount of hounding me will change this(though if it would, I'd invite you and everyone else to chase me to the edge of the planet).
Old 01-05-2008, 04:40 AM

To chase you to the "Edge Of The Planet" would accomplish however that the Earth is a flat disc

The point that makes me angry: I got out of Smackdown forums because I couldn't hold this rumors (yes, they are nothing but damn badly made rumors) of HD-DVD dying in one or two months (Not even possible or at least a serious bussinesman would say so) and now I've to find the exact same things going on in the HD-DVD forums.

That just isn't right
Old 01-05-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike171979 View Post
Want to hear the true story of how this all went down.

Here it is:

1)Warner Bros. wanted to end the format war, and have HD DVD win.
2)They knew they themselves going HD DVD exclusive would not achieve this.
3)They talked to Fox, and wanted HD DVD to strike a deal with Fox, and have Fox and Warner Bros. to go HD DVD exclusive at 2008 CES.
4)Last minute Negotiations between Fox and the BDA canceled that idea, and Fox got a large sum of cash, probably 500 Million by all accounts.
5)With Fox staying Blu Ray exclusive, Warner realized the only way to end the format war is to also go Blu Ray exclusive, so Warner reportedly accepted 500 million from the BDA.
6)HD DVD could not believe what just happened, they were close to striking a deal with Fox and Warner for HD DVD exclusivity. They had the press conference scheduled at the Wynn Las Vegas to announce the whole deal.
7)HD DVD is now forced to cancel the press conference, and basically go into hiding during CES and try to come up with some kind of back up plan.

And again people, all this happened in just the last week.

Now this is all documented through various stories online, and it is much talked about over on AVS, but I really don't feel like citing all of my sources right now, I'd rather just go to bed.
I call bullshit on this being a true story.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrob View Post
I call bullshit on this being a true story.
Why? Might recall CES' HD DVD press event was scheduled for 2hrs, Blu-Rays for 1hr. So clearly they "had" a big announcement planned. David Vaughn backs up much of these details re: Warner & Fox.

It's all over now regardless.