How can HD DVD fight back? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-05-2008, 02:48 AM

Default How can HD DVD fight back?

Like everybody today I have read the news. Now what can Toshiba and the HD DVD partners can do about it?

Do the Star Trek thing for all releases. That's right start releasing only HD DVD/DVD combos and stop making DVD only. Of course for it to work they need to be the same price of the DVDs.

Let's say that Paramount and Universal start doing this. What would happen? With DVDs sales exceeding massively the sales of HD materials all together this could work.

It's hard to think that they were not doing it from the start. I'm not sure how much money would be involved in doing that but its an idea of what could be plan B for Toshiba & cie.

Last edited by HackingIntoU; 01-05-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:51 AM

Let it take some days into land to see if there is really a need for plan B at the moment.

That's my opinion.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:17 AM

That could work!

I don't see that as something that they would do BUT if they did in fact do this it would be the one thing they could do that BDA COULD NEVER DO!

Since the DVD forum owns the rights to DVD and HD-DVD they would never allow blu-ray to put a dvd on the other side of the disk.

So from the next release on if Paramount and Universal put out hd-dvd combo for all new dvd's that could help hd-dvd a lot!

Will people fall for it? Well I think for this to work Toshiba would have to make the A3 MSRP $99 so people can easily pick up a player and make the movies $20 and like $15 on release day like they do at BB!

Right now I think this is the only thing they could do. If they did this it would be hard for Warner to look the other way and they would be kicking them self in the head if it worked out!

Lets say this worked. It looks like maybe Warner and Fox got bought out but it would still be possible to get Disney, Lions Gate etc to come over. I know it's slim but things like this happen quick and unexpectedly as we seen from Warner and Paramount! You never know maybe Warner would pay the legal fees if they are bound to contract from this pay out and come back to HD-DVD if it worked!

TO BE 100% HONEST:
If they did this I really do think it would equal out the format war once again. Look at it this way. If you could buy a $99 player to watch movies from Universal and Paramount on plus get great up converted movies I think it would be hard to pass up.

If they did this I would for sure not even consider buying Blu-Ray!
Old 01-05-2008, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamd View Post
That could work!

I don't see that as something that they would do BUT if they did in fact do this it would be the one thing they could do that BDA COULD NEVER DO!

Since the DVD forum owns the rights to DVD and HD-DVD they would never allow blu-ray to put a dvd on the other side of the disk.

So from the next release on if Paramount and Universal put out hd-dvd combo for all new dvd's that could help hd-dvd a lot!

Will people fall for it? Well I think for this to work Toshiba would have to make the A3 MSRP $99 so people can easily pick up a player and make the movies $20 and like $15 on release day like they do at BB!

Right now I think this is the only thing they could do. If they did this it would be hard for Warner to look the other way and they would be kicking them self in the head if it worked out!
Please let us call them "The Betrayers" from now on

They really did lie to us all. Remember Total-HD? I'd highly doubt they did ever make something other than just this Total HD cover example.

But yeah. The idea of the OP isn't that bad. Maybe wait another week and Toshiba including the other studios and MS could work this out.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
Please let us call them "The Betrayers" from now on

They really did lie to us all. Remember Total-HD? I'd highly doubt they did ever make something other than just this Total HD cover example.

But yeah. The idea of the OP isn't that bad. Maybe wait another week and Toshiba including the other studios and MS could work this out.
Also I forgot to add in that "The Betrayers" are still with HD-DVD until May of this year SO...

Why not do this combo thing along with "The Betrayers" movie's and see how it goes? I could only think it would be a positive and keep them in.

It all depends how deep they want to fight in this war. The combo is the last defense they have that Blu-Ray can't match! I think this would be the best last stand for them!
Old 01-05-2008, 03:38 AM

Yes right.

But the problem is,that a big amount of people dislikes the look of the HD-DVD/DVD combo disc. So they'd need to make a new version with DVD and HD-DVD on one side.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:41 AM

HD DVD can fight back by getting the "HD DVD is DEAD" banter out of it's head! WTF!? if it's true that Warner had no greens handed to them by Sony, that means that they can easily change their mind about supporting HD DVD again. this might be a test to see how well Warners BD stands in the HD market. if it's good, they benefit from producing just one format. if not, then they can just go back to putting out both.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:45 AM

It's pretty easy.

Paramount said they already had 30+ movies planned for release in 2008.

Have them release the list.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
Yes right.

But the problem is,that a big amount of people dislikes the look of the HD-DVD/DVD combo disc. So they'd need to make a new version with DVD and HD-DVD on one side.
Let's push it even further I guess ... make Twin format packaged in DVD cases with label clearly saying "Best viewed in High Definition using an HD DVD player" or something like that.

I think its too bad that the twin format is in danger.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackingIntoU View Post
Let's push it even further I guess ... make Twin format packaged in DVD cases with label clearly saying "Best viewed in High Definition using an HD DVD player" or something like that.

I think its too bad that the twin format is in danger.
That would be a good idea.

BTW: The best thing to do: kidnap all this "so called HD-DVD fans" who switched to Blu-Ray a few minutes after the Warner statement and strangle them to dead