What are your plans for your HD DVD disks now? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-04-2008, 09:05 PM

Default What are your plans for your HD DVD disks now?

This xmas i got around 20 movies... alot of them warner... and I decided to get them ALL on blu-ray because i felt in the long run blu-ray had the best chance to win.

However i never expected warner flipping so soon and the war nearly over just when hd dvd looked so strong.

Obviously all of our HD DVD disks will still play but 2-4 years down the road am i still going to want to hang on to and HD DVD player just to play my 60 some HD DVD disks?

On the other hand i don't want to just sell them all because it could be a full 2 years before all of universal titles i own are out on blu.

At the very least i'm going to try and bring my HD DVD disk count down.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:11 PM

I'm going to watch mine. Until there are no more HD DVD's being made, I'll be buying them. Freddy
Old 01-04-2008, 09:13 PM

I'll also be watching mine.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:14 PM

I refuse to sell any of my HD films. PERIOD!
Old 01-04-2008, 09:22 PM

Liquidating all my stock........as a die hard HD DVD fan it pains me to say it, nothing against HD DVD but I've always been that way with game systems and such. Got a friend at work to by 9 so far at $10 a pop he knows about Warner I was sure to tell him first but he was fine with it no sense keeping a format that's going to be dead no matter how much I want it to be alive. The main reason I'm getting rid of them is it's just so damn depressing to see them on my DVD tower all 57 of em. Well that's life if I can recoup $10 each then I figure the extra $10-15 I spent on them was worth it to have them for over a year I'd do it again, really makes me sad to know whoever has the fatter bribes actually still wins in these days, maybe it's just me.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:24 PM

I'll keep my movies. Alot of my Warner titles are superior to the Blu version anyway. Web enabled content, PIP, etc.

Prolly get a universal player down the line and enjoy them for years to come.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:30 PM

I can't understand why anyone would get rid of there discs especially considering how much they fucking cost. I mean seriously it will take a while for all the titles to get re-released on Blu-ray should Paramount and Universal bail. I mean it could be 2 years or more before every single Universal title makes it to Blu-Ray if they ditch HD. so I will keep all my discs for sure.
Plus many of the HD DVDs will be the superior version until a whole new version comes out with the various hdi titles and stuff. I don't get what anybody is thinking. I mean wtf? There really can't be any good reason to get rid of the actual disc unless you just hate the title or something. I don't get it. sorry.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:31 PM

I'm not getting rid of my collection as I have so many movies that are awesome.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:41 PM

I'll keep buying more HD DVDs, but I'll buy the BD version when a HD DVD version is not available - just like I've done up until now. I don't see the discs as a financial investment at all, they are for enjoying the content. I prefer the HD DVDs because of complete region freedom, for it being a more open format with less extensive DRM options etc. and nothing has changed in that front.

EDIT: Heh, as soon as I finished writing this the postman delivered 7 more HD DVDs from Amazon.com in 2 packages. Eastern Promises, The Kingdom, Pan's Labyrinth, Cat People etc. Somehow I don't feel like dumping these!

Last edited by kannisto; 01-04-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:42 PM

I plan on keeping them and picking up a $25 clearance player in a year to keep in storage. That way I'll know I'll be able to enjoy my discs years from now.