When do the nuetrals jump ship? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-04-2008, 08:05 PM

Default When do the nuetrals jump ship?

I can honestly say I have both HD-DVD and Blu-ray and am almost 50/50 on titles owned. I think this Warner announcement is the beggining of the end for HD-DVD. Although Universal and Paramount are HD-DVD exclusives I don't think the red camp can afford to lose a mojor studio like Warner. So the question is when do I start to sell off my collection of discs? I also think that the days of BOGO will soon be over and Sony will soon haveall of the hi-def market in their hands and would not be surprised to see all the price drops for players and software soon to be non existant.

Just my opinion
Old 01-04-2008, 08:08 PM

I don't understand why people need to sell off their HD collection. I'm sorry it just seems a little retarded.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:09 PM

Absolutely zero need to sell off anything. There will always be the import market for the foreseeable future to keep things moving.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark420 View Post
So the question is when do I start to sell off my collection of discs?
when your hd-dvd player dies and you can't easily find a working replacement (one could also buy a player dirt cheap on clearance and keep it stored away for when the current player dies) or they release some special edition on bluray with either a better transfer or better extras

plus you never know... something could still happen for HD-DVD the war isn't lost until it's lost
Old 01-04-2008, 08:16 PM

I am not saying everyone should but their stuff on Ebay today but I do think its time to embrace the horror, I am to invested right now with HD-DVD to take a massive loss for what has the potential of being the new betamax.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:35 PM

Let's just see what happens. Neither format has really become a household name. It is still a niche market.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:43 PM

I was going to buy Zodiac next week but that changed with the announcement. I can't see investing any more money in something I think won't be relevant in a year.
I really liked HD DVD--thought the "U-Control" technology was great.
Looks like I'll be looking to purchase a Blu player.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:47 PM

I agree with Brad.

This whole thing is still a niche market. I have an HDTV and the disposable income to buy a HD player. But note that I am not a movie enthusiast like most of you. I don't feel the need to buy HD movies yet...not while the cheaper alternative is still being marketed. The day DVD dies is the day Blu-Ray wins.

Note: I'm not buying a PS3 for Blu-Ray movie playback either not when those disks are so expensive compared to DVDs.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:30 PM

I'll stick with my policy of buying the HD DVD when both are available and Blu-ray when HD DVD is not available. I don't see the discs as a financial investment, I buy them for enjoying the movie content and I believe I can keep having a working HD DVD player for as long as I want. Might also pick up an HD-XA2 if they are available cheaper at some point. I chose to support HD DVD more than BD because of region freedom and less extensive DRM etc. and I have always preferred the HD DVD supporting film studios' compared to some of those in the BD camp.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:44 PM

I bought a Blu-ray player just a few weeks ago. I guess there's some relief now that I can focus solely on buying Blu-ray titles from here on out.

With the exception of Zodiac on Tuesday, there's no "must-have" HD-DVD titles for me in the near future. I likely won't buy any more until the clearance sales start.