If Blu-Ray becomes the lone next gen DVD format... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-04-2008, 06:42 PM

Default If Blu-Ray becomes the lone next gen DVD format...

Is there any chance that future Blu-Ray players would play HD DVDs? I have no basis for saying this, I have not heard this anywhere else. But, it seems that this would be a good selling point to get HD DVD owners to Blu-Ray, and a chance for Toshiba (or whoever owns the rights to HD DVD content) to make some money if HD DVD becomes obsolete. Is this possible? Or would Sony (or whoever owns the rights to Blu-Ray content) never acquire HD DVD rights?

Also, I am looking for a reason to continue to buy HD DVD movies that are available on both formats...
Old 01-04-2008, 07:11 PM

The dual format players already exist, though they are costly. If you're talking about a firmware update of some sort that would allow HD DVD's to play on current Blu-Ray players, no chance in hell.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twarman17 View Post

Also, I am looking for a reason to continue to buy HD DVD movies that are available on both formats...
Check the import threads. Thats reason enough for me to continue to support HD DVD while also supporting Blu.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkinPrime View Post
The dual format players already exist, though they are costly. If you're talking about a firmware update of some sort that would allow HD DVD's to play on current Blu-Ray players, no chance in hell.
I don't think you can update the software through a firmware to support hd dvd. I was thinking of a sale of the rights to HD DVD to the Blu-Ray camp if the war is lost, and then the Blu-Ray camp would add the ability to play HD DVDs to their future players (basically making all Blu-Ray players dual format, but as a standard feature of all Blu-Ray players). Obviously, the HD DVD camp would not sell their rights until the format war was lost, but I don't see any reason they would not if the war was lost anyway. And, the Blu-Ray camp could use that to get people owning HD DVDs to buy their players. Just a thought.