Poll: Will you move to Blu with Warner or dump HD all together? - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: So how will you react to Warner's betrayl?
I'll support HD-DVD until it dies then I'm done! 34 23.29%
I'll support HD-DVD until it dies then move on to Blu! 78 53.42%
I'm done with HD formats all together! 33 22.60%
HVD for the Win! 1 0.68%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2008, 04:50 PM

Default Poll: Will you move to Blu with Warner or dump HD all together?

The more I think about the Warner decision the more I'm simply fed up with this entire format war. Not because I prefer HD-DVD, or because I don't like the conflict and debate (which I do)....I'm sick of the fact that the industry is determined to force on us the crappier of the two formats, with no discernible reasoning other than because Sony told them to do so. So I'm done. The simple fact of the matter is that even Blu-Ray isn't going to replace SDVD, as has been evidenced by both formats' lagging adoption compared to DVD's. Furthermore considering the fact that you're paying twice as much (or more) for a movie and, in the case of a series, you don't gain any shelf space by upgrading as you still have the same number of discs as a SDVD version, the door is wide open for Blu-Ray to be crushed when HVD begins to be used for movies and TV. So we have it...the winner of the war between 2 Betamaxes is Blu-Ray.

So will you follow Warner to the Blu-side? Or realize that this BOTH formats were a waste of your time and money. Personally I should thank Warner...you've forced me out of the entire HD market all together. In spite of Warner's jumping on the "format confusion" bandwagon all they've accomplished on my end is confirm that I couldn't care less anymore. By going Blu-only they've really only confused the consumer more from my pov, as I simply will not support the business practices of the BDA or upcoming possibilities for the HD market like Disney's readoption of the DIVX rental-only model for their BR releases. Well done guys; you've permanently alienated a consumer, half of whose HD purchases have been Warner films.

POLL TO FOLLOW IN A MINUTE OR TWO.
A note on the poll: I'm only curious how HD-DVD only consumers are going to react. If you're neutral then obviously this doesn't make a real difference to you.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:53 PM

I'm not getting rid of my HD DvD's but I am going to hold off on buying anymore...as to going Blu...never. I've had so many problems with Sony I purposely avoid them and as much of what they are involved in. That means back to upconverting SD if HDDVD does die.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:58 PM

My wife ordered the Blade Runner Ultimate collection on HD-DVD for me before Christmas and it still hasn't even shipped from the Warner Store, and Warner won't even respond to the e-mails asking for an update...what an amusing coincidence given today's announcement.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:59 PM

I'll probably just go neutral a little sooner than I had planned (I kinda miss that option in the poll by the way). It might somewhat affect my future HD DVD purchases though...
Old 01-04-2008, 05:04 PM

I voted on the wrong thing...I'm staying red for as long as red lives, if it dies, I'm dropping HDM for a long while and sticking to renting online movies through XBOX Live Marketplace.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:08 PM

Well on one hand it sucks, on the other hand I'm gonna save a shit load of money by going back to torrents.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:10 PM

Not going to Blu until there is a good complete stand alone player for a reasonable price, dual format might be worth it but there's no real incentive to make those either anymore.
Not going to bother buying red either, unless they are on a deal, the premium is no longer worth it. Upconverted SD it is.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:12 PM

For me nothing really changed because recently I started a thread that I decided to buy WB releases on BD, personal issues with packaging/quality with their HD DVD releases. LOL
Old 01-04-2008, 05:14 PM

not really gonna change my stance unless Universal AND Paramount goes Blu also.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil N View Post
I'll probably just go neutral a little sooner than I had planned (I kinda miss that option in the poll by the way)
I chose to drop the neutral option simply because this announcement has effectively given HD-DVD an expiration date. With Warner going away as of May and the Paramount deal only lasting until year's end, HD-DVD is basically done by years end. So going "neutral" really is a moot point as only 1 studio (Uni) is now committed to the format's long term success and everyone else will be out the door by year's end.