Where is the HD DVD Advertising?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-02-2008, 12:08 PM

Default Where is the HD DVD Advertising??

As I was watching some college football bowl games yesterday, I must have saw an ad for Blu Ray at least once every half hour. It was either these sleek new ads with the new catchphrase ("The future is Blu"), or those aggressive ads for the Playstation 3 that doesn't even mention that its a video game machine.

Granted, many of these were on Fox, which is a Blu supporter. But where are the HD DVD ads? Even on NBC's programming, there are none to be seen.

Last edited by ericwithcheese; 01-02-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:35 PM

I thought i was the only one to notice that!
Old 01-02-2008, 12:39 PM

I've seen the HD DVD commercial with Shrek a few times, and before that I remember seeing the ad with Michael Imperioli (or whatever his name is), but you're right -- they're not nearly as commonplace as Blu-ray commercials.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwithcheese View Post
As I was watching some college football bowl games yesterday, I must have saw an ad for Blu Ray at least once every half hour. It was either these sleek new ads with the new catchphrase ("The future is Blu"), or those aggressive ads for the Playstation 3 that doesn't even mention that its a video game machine.

Granted, many of these were on Fox, which is a Blu supporter. But where are the HD DVD ads? Even on NBC's programming, there are none to be seen.
Ummm, do you watch NFL games on Sunday nights? There were HD DVD ads throughout the season. First they featured Michael Imperioli from The Sopranos, and most recently they featured a fictional football team coached by Marty Schottenheimer. If you watched the NBC New Year's Eve festivities, there was a giant Toshiba HD DVD billboard right above/behind the giant ball which was obviously shown numerous times. The advertising is out there.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
Ummm, do you watch NFL games on Sunday nights? There were HD DVD ads throughout the season. First they featured Michael Imperioli from The Sopranos, and most recently they featured a fictional football team coached by Marty Schottenheimer. If you watched the NBC New Year's Eve festivities, there was a giant Toshiba HD DVD billboard right above/behind the giant ball which was obviously shown numerous times. The advertising is out there.

It may be out there, but its no where near as omnipresent as the ones for Blu Ray. I bet at least once every half hour on almost any network, I see an ad about Blu Ray, or mentioning Blu Ray... or something. Those PlayStation 3 ads I mentioned with the Saliva song and clips from Resident Evil and Live Free or Die Hard are loud, aggressive and they leave an impression on the average consumer. I haven't seen anything like that remotely close for HD DVD. Not just on football or some NBC New Year's Eve show that nobody probably watched (or at least watched sober)... but they need to get ads on popular shows across the board and not just on NBC programs ... shows like "The Office", "My Name Is Earl", "CSI" or "Grey's Anatomy". Advertise on youth-oriented channels like the CW or MTV as well as Sunday Night Football and (hopefully) the NFL Playoffs that NBC broadcasts.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
It may be out there, but its no where near as omnipresent as the ones for Blu Ray. I bet at least once every half hour on almost any network, I see an ad about Blu Ray, or mentioning Blu Ray... or something. Those PlayStation 3 ads I mentioned with the Saliva song and clips from Resident Evil and Live Free or Die Hard are loud, aggressive and they leave an impression on the average consumer. I haven't seen anything like that remotely close for HD DVD. Not just on football or some NBC New Year's Eve show that nobody probably watched (or at least watched sober)... but they need to get ads on popular shows across the board and not just on NBC programs ... shows like "The Office", "My Name Is Earl", "CSI" or "Grey's Anatomy". Advertise on youth-oriented channels like the CW or MTV as well as Sunday Night Football and (hopefully) the NFL Playoffs that NBC broadcasts.
Well I think you are right to some degree. But I must admit, the only reason why I only gave you just those two examples are because I watch next to no television whatsoever. I watch football on Sunday and Monday night, a little ESPN late at night, Mets games during baseball season, and "24" when that airs. That's literally it. So I gave the examples that I was aware of, and took it for granted that since I watch such a small amount of television and yet was still aware of HD DVD advertising, then it must be logical to assume that there is plenty more of it out there when I don't know that for a fact to be true.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:06 PM

i see hd-dvd commercials every time i put a warner hd-dvd in.. does that count?
Old 01-02-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Well I think you are right to some degree. But I must admit, the only reason why I only gave you just those two examples are because I watch next to no television whatsoever. I watch football on Sunday and Monday night, a little ESPN late at night, Mets games during baseball season, and "24" when that airs. That's literally it. So I gave the examples that I was aware of, and took it for granted that since I watch such a small amount of television and yet was still aware of HD DVD advertising, then it must be logical to assume that there is plenty more of it out there when I don't know that for a fact to be true.
Agreed. I don't watch a lot of TV myself, but I work in a hotel with a TV on in the lobby on in the background. And while I don't pay close attention to the ads that are shown, the ones that are the most noticeable to me are the Blu Ray ones. So there may very well be more HD DVD ads than I am noticing, but they need to be more aggressive and head turning like how I see the new Blu Ray ads are today.

And, as a side note, are you disappointed like I am that there is no "24" this spring because of the writers' strike? I saw that trailer on Fox NFL Sunday a couple months ago and they looked like they were really changing things up this year and I was pretty excited to see it all.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Agreed. I don't watch a lot of TV myself, but I work in a hotel with a TV on in the lobby on in the background. And while I don't pay close attention to the ads that are shown, the ones that are the most noticeable to me are the Blu Ray ones. So there may very well be more HD DVD ads than I am noticing, but they need to be more aggressive and head turning like how I see the new Blu Ray ads are today.

And, as a side note, are you disappointed like I am that there is no "24" this spring because of the writers' strike? I saw that trailer on Fox NFL Sunday a couple months ago and they looked like they were really changing things up this year and I was pretty excited to see it all.
Definitely bummed about "24", but it should still theoretically happen at some point this year.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Definitely bummed about "24", but it should still theoretically happen at some point this year.
Hopefully, but Fox has postponed the season indefinately since they only have about half the episodes filmed, and the rest unwritten. They want to air it all in a row like previous seasons, and its getting too late in the game to hope they could write and film the remaining episodes before May.