Universal's "universal" menu theme - yay or nay? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-02-2008, 11:23 AM

Default Universal's "universal" menu theme - yay or nay?

At first I wasn't a big fan of the Universal HD DVD disc menu because it's not as imaginative as other menus from other studios, but now I like it. It's more seamless when you open it up in-movie and it also creates brand awareness for their films.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:37 AM

meh on the menu set up. Though you are correct in the whole brand awareness idea. How odd that consumers are now not only savvy enough to know marketing techniques such as this but that we praise the fact that we are ostensibly being manipulated.
One thing I do like is that Uni discs dont autoplay like Warner discs....autoplay bugs the hell outa me for some reason.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:22 PM

I like the auto play on the Warners discs, no mucking about, and you can access the menu with 1 click.
Universal just takes too long, what with the language choice, then the obligatory message that the views expressed in the commentary does'nt reflect the views of the company etc, i lose the will to live.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:26 PM

I also like the auto play on Warner discs. The only thing that bothers me is that I always have to go to the menu to change the audio format if it has a hi-res track. Other than that, I'm perfectly happy with auto play.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

I'm not a fan of their template menus. I did find it funny that they didn't even take the time with Waterworld's menu to add in clips from the movie. I'm sure its not the only Universal title like this either. Only good thing about the template menu is that it has helped them release titles faster.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:31 PM

Definitely a yay for Universal's menu theme.

Sure it's the same across the board, but it's quick access and very easy to navigate from within the movie.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:28 PM

its alright, but hey,m its just a menu right? i am more partial to the auto play of warner disks, like some one mentioned.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:28 PM

I prefer the new (first noticed on Heroes) theme to the older one. Looks more crisp and HD to me, whereas the old one looked big and clunky.

The Warner titles mostly have the same menu, just you don't see it as much because of autoplay and they skin it. But mechanically it's very consistent movie to movie.

I do like that Universal has defaulted to TrueHD tracks when available (Bourne/Inside Man). Do the newer Warner titles do that(Harry Potter)? I forget.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintNick912 View Post
I do like that Universal has defaulted to TrueHD tracks when available (Bourne/Inside Man). Do the newer Warner titles do that(Harry Potter)? I forget.
nope.. warner still defaults to DD+
Old 01-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Banned

They are okay now. Universal menu's used to be a whole lot worse/generic.

I even made a thread about it.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/show...t=generic+menu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Ed View Post
I like the auto play on the Warners discs, no mucking about, and you can access the menu with 1 click.
Universal just takes too long, what with the language choice, then the obligatory message that the views expressed in the commentary does'nt reflect the views of the company etc, i lose the will to live.
You must live in the UK as the US releases from Universal do not require you to choose a language. It just goes straight to the main menu.