'The Kingdom' -- High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-31-2007, 12:13 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'The Kingdom' -- High-Def Digest review

Kenneth's review of 'The Kingdom' is up. He enjoyed the film itself, and says this HD DVD edition features a sharp transfer, a decent Dolby Digital Plus audio mix, and an impressive array of standard and exclusive supplemental features.

Full review here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1232/kingdom2007.html
Old 12-31-2007, 12:18 PM

Good review,im going to pick this movie up soon.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:23 PM

I love this film. Blind bought it in the B2G1 BB sale. I think it was paced perfectly,, didnt drag at all IMO. Perfect blend of Action and Plot. And the ending was awesome. The picture is way better than the review says, personally I thought it looked as good as Eastern Promises. The audio was good but could have been better. The thing that really left an impression was the Ucontrol PIP. The apartment scene was truly great. The PIP and ability to follow the people individually. Overall a wonderful disc! Enjoyed it more than Eastern Promises and easily takes my best blind buy of the year!

Movie: 4.5/5
PQ: 5/5
AQ: 4/5
Overall: 4.5/5
Old 12-31-2007, 12:25 PM

So why no TrueHD? I'm wondering if it a case of space constraints on the disc. Personally, I wish they'd drop some extras if it's a case of one over the other.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMaustus View Post
So why no TrueHD? I'm wondering if it a case of space constraints on the disc. Personally, I wish they'd drop some extras if it's a case of one over the other.
As I might want to agree with you, I have to disagree.
I had family down and not only did I demo some great PQ discs, my uncle was convinced to go HD DVD single handedly due to the PIP and Follow the person special feature. He literally bought the A3 on amazon when I told them 10 free. This disc is perfect to show the capabilities and interactivity that HD DVD provides.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:50 PM

Ben: Here's the thing: normally, I'm all over the extras and I'd really appreciate seeing them. However, lately, I've bought too much stuff. I don't seem to have the time for all the extras anymore. I Guess I just want my movie to be as good as it can be and then I'll watch the extras at a later time.

This is my personal opinion based on my situation. Perhaps Universal sides with yours since they really seem to be pushing the interactive merits of HD DVD.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:57 PM

meh! I thoght Die Hard 4 was a more realistic flick. The Kingdom was just felled with holes like a piece of Swiss cheese

for example KSA isn't the war zone you americans are dreaming of.. infact it's one of the safest countries in the Middle East
and you know what? there is no death-defying car chases in KSA.. the writer probaly think because there pullet fights and car chases in US that KSA is a 100 times worse.

they didn't even go to KSA.. they went to a middle eastern country and brought some arab guys to make the most paper-thin characters in the history of movies (the good saudi being the worst)

and what the hell with the situation with Garner "I wanted to but you in the bathroom" thing? isn't that anti islam or something?!!

Last edited by blu-way; 12-31-2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:00 PM

People may have differing opinions of this film, but I loved it. I agree fully with the review. I personally thought this was at least a 4.5/5 PQ material, but either way it looked great.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-way View Post
meh! I thoght Die Hard 4 was a more realistic flick. The Kingdom was just felled with holes like a piece of Swiss cheese

for example KSA isn't the war zone you americans are dreaming of.. infact it's one of the safest country in the Middle East
and you know what? there is no death-defying car chases in KSA.. the writer probaly think because there pullet fights and car chases in US that KSA is a 100 times worse.

they didn't even go to KSA.. they went to a middle eastern country and brought some arab guys to make the most paper-thin characters in the history of movies (the good saudi being the worst)

and what the hell with the situation with Garner "I wanted to but you in the bathroom" thing? isn't that anti islam or something?!!
I loved this movie and was expecting a lossless audio track. This is why the HD-51 is very important.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra2jzgte View Post
I loved this movie and was expecting a lossless audio track. This is why the HD-51 is very important.
I'm wondering if the studios get cheaper rates from the audio codecs companies. Maybe it cost leasts if they use DD+ over TrueHD. The Kingdom didn't even make 50 million in the theaters. They didn't want to waste more money on it. I'm just guessing that it costs more per license to have TrueHD over DD+. Honestly I think it would costs least on TrueHD, since they don't need to do any work on removing data from the source.