Ok, so I just watched Blade Runner for 1st time...... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-31-2007, 12:10 AM

Default Ok, so I just watched Blade Runner for 1st time......

......and as much as I'm ashamed to say it, I don't quite get it.

All the hype on here about it led me to blind buy it today and I have been wanting to see it.

So what exactly makes this one of the best sci-fi films ever as I've read many say on here lately?

Go ahead, tell me. Give spoilers, be specific, refer to certain scenes/lines....please.

I didn't really dislike it. Visually it was spectacular and the end scene where Roy goes dead was cool, but I just have a big feeling that I really missed something and that kind of aggravates me cause, again, so many have said it's brilliant.

I think I understood teh basic plot. The NExus 6 models rebeled and went violent causing them to be banned from Earth. If any are found to be on Earth, the Blade Runner cops kill them. Rutger Hauer and the others come to Earth to try and find an extension to their lives............right? And then Roy has to come to grips with his own impending death when he finds out nothing can be done.

Is that it?

So please.....clue me in.

-Aaron
Old 12-31-2007, 12:28 AM

i sort of know what you mean. i only saw it recently, and i wasnt really that blown away. i think its a generational thing. i am only 20, so i wasnt around when i first came out and didnt experience the whole impact of the film. but its still a good move none the less
Old 12-31-2007, 12:33 AM

This is the thinking man's sci-fi film.

I've seen this flick various times throughout the years, and the greatest "unanswered" question has always been...is Deckard (Harrison Ford) a replicant?

It's not until I saw the Final Cut and noticed the shot of him walking behind Sean Young's character and catching the subtle hint of his "red eyes" in the light. I never noticed that before this version.

For the longest people were left to make up their own minds as to what it all means. The film has metaphors galore all over the place. The unicorn, God, life, death, etc...

What you won't find are concrete answers to any of them.

All of that, and it's a pretty neat detective noir story.

-cheez avenger
Old 12-31-2007, 12:36 AM

It's about humanity loosing its humanity. Watch disc 2, it will give you some insights. I didn't get it the first time either. As I have gotten older, it has made more sense to me. Think about the social ramifications of a situation like that, except the Nexus 6 replicants are actually a class in society.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:36 AM

Just got finished watching the HD-DVD version and it was spectacular.

Great job WB on remastering this timeless classic.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoody View Post
It's about humanity loosing its humanity.
Yep, notice the voight-komp test monitors the eye...which some believe to be the gateway to your soul.

The humans in the movie are assholes, Deckerd for example(if he isn't a replicant, which makes more sense than if he was one). Or a complete recluse. While the replicants care about each other, and show emotion. The destruction of the planet is shown, what with all the animals in the movie being artificial (The owls died first), and the constant smoke/smog. The movie is also a tale of redemption, Deckerd is a bitter divorced alcoholic...and his experiences with Roy and Rachael reinvigorates him.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:16 AM

I think younger viewers today are so used to whizbang MTV style editing and blistering cascading jump cuts that a movie like Blade runner might bore them to death. I'm 45, and I was 20 when it came out, so imagine how you felt seeing Lord of the Rings and it would be similar.For me, the single most awe-inspiring moment in cinema was when the Star Destroyer passed over the screen during the opening of Star Wars. A lot of water (and movies) has gone under the bridge since then, but that still is the one singular moment in cinema that, at that time, was truly aweinspiring and transcendant. Although 2001 has since become my favorite movie, that Star Wars opening melted me like butter.

To me, Blade Runner (beyond the story and characters) is all about atmosphere. With all it's grunge and dirt, it is a BEAUTIFUL movie. The visuals of a futuristic Los Angeles were absolutely breathtaking. This was LONG before CGI, Jackson's Lord of the Rings, Terminator 2, Jurassic Park and the like. You have to remember that these were no computer animators who made this film. They were old school craftsmen and artisans who BUILT the vision you see. Star Wars was a fabulous fantasy world, but the world of Blade Runner, IMHO, was the very first futuristic world that actually looked REALISTIC and POSSIBLE. Add to that the introspective nature of the way the movie questions the nature of identity, self, and consciousness, the whole replicant ambiguity, the dark film noir aspects of the production, the brilliant villain in Roy Batty...and you have one hell of a movie experience.

..that will bore you to tears if you aren't used to the lingering shots, the slow pacing...etc.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
the brilliant villain in Roy Batty.
Some people view him as the hero.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdale13 View Post
i sort of know what you mean. i only saw it recently, and i wasnt really that blown away. i think its a generational thing. i am only 20, so i wasnt around when i first came out and didnt experience the whole impact of the film. but its still a good move none the less
I was 21 when BLADE RUNNER came out, I saw it opening weekend with my family in a half empty theater in Knoxville, TN. When it was over, I proclaimed it's brilliance, and everyone within earshot looked at me like I had three heads. That fall, I got back to college in NYC, where I was joined by all of my friends who had similar theatrical experiences that summer. Somehow, WE KNEW.

Within a few months, midnight shows started cropping up in Manhattan, with the theaters getting more and more filled with each showing. Seeing the cult following grow, it was easy to dismiss those that didn't "get it."

Hopefully you'll come to understand what makes this film so great, but if you don't, I imagine you'll still be in the majority.

My parents still think I'm nuts when I talk about BLADE RUNNER.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off The Fence View Post
My parents still think I'm nuts when I talk about BLADE RUNNER.
My dad is the same way...and he did say the reason why he liked 300 so much was that you didn't have to think at all.