Any rare or not-highly-stocked HD DVDs? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-30-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Any rare or not-highly-stocked HD DVDs?

I'm a fan of off-the-beaten-path movies and I was just wondering if there were any HD DVD titles out there that aren't listed on thelookandsoundofperfect.com and are probably not in stock at Best Buy. If anyone knows of a good source for some of the more obscure movies, could you post here? Thanks.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:57 PM

I cant find Enron: The Smartest Guy In The Room anywhere.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:02 PM

My local 'Moviestop' had that one. I would definitely say that one is rare for sure. Moviestop is a great place to see ALL the domestic HD DVD releases. They get every title in.

NOTE TO OP: there are MANY HD dvds that are not carried by BB. As far as "rare" HD DVds go I'd say the really rare one's are various import titles. I also like collecting offbeat titles every now and then, but there really aren't any domestic HD dvds that I would necessarily call "rare" except for recalled stuff like "Jack Ryan" collection. There are many titles that are very uncommon for sure, but I can't think of any that aren't easily obtainable through Amazon. Again, imports are where the "rare" stuff is imo.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1080p View Post
I cant find Enron: The Smartest Guy In The Room anywhere.
Have you tried Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/Enron-Smartest.../dp/B000GFRIIG
Old 12-30-2007, 09:15 PM

Check Xploited Cinema, they carry Imports from other countries. They are more expensive but it's nice to have the options thanks to no region coding.

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/hd...8cd3eb7c95bd38
Old 12-30-2007, 09:35 PM

Wait. Am I to understand correctly that there is no region encoding for HD DVD?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr View Post
Wait. Am I to understand correctly that there is no region encoding for HD DVD?
You are correct, import away
Old 12-30-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzparentl View Post
Check Xploited Cinema, they carry Imports from other countries. They are more expensive but it's nice to have the options thanks to no region coding.

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/hd...8cd3eb7c95bd38

How are the Resident Evil imports? PQ? AQ? Is the writing on the cover in German? Are there forced sub-titles? I am interested in picking up that Trilogy. A very expensive guilty pleasure it appears these movies are too.

Any info on those flicks would be great!
Old 12-30-2007, 09:57 PM

ANOTHER NOTE TO OP: The ONE problem with import titles is sometimes they have NO English subtitles. This is apparently a planned thing on many releases. I would say about half of all available imports have English subs, and the other half do not. Look through the import thread in the import subforum to see the one's that DO have English subs. There are a few listed that do not, so read the notes carefully.
Also: check import sub forum for many threads regarding PQ and AQ of specific titles.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:07 PM

i highly recommend the uk version of the Brotherhood of the wolf...the pq is off the hook...and i thought it was a very good movie