HD DVD Strategy - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-30-2007, 07:30 PM

Default HD DVD Strategy

Originally I thought, well Iím just going to buy my favorites. Which include replacing many of the DVDís I already own and this has been working well for me. I recently began to think, why should I replace all the movieís I already spent upwards of $20 on to begin with?

Well today I bought all movies I didnít previously have and I have to say I wish I stuck with my original thinking. Not that they are bad movies and in many cases they look fantastic, but there is a reason why I didnít buy them in the first place.

Tremors for example. Great movie, great transfer. But after watching it I instantly thought why didnít I get Unforgiven or complete my Kubrick collection with Clockwork Orange. I could have even finished off the Bourne trilogy with Supremacy, but I blew it. Iím sure Iíll feel the same way with some of my other recent purchaseís like Tokyo Drift.

Anyway, I took advantage of the buy 3 get 2 free at Best Buy and Iím having some buyerís remorse.

What are some of your strategies in HD DVD purchases?
Old 12-30-2007, 07:39 PM

buy what i want when i can afford it... (i have other expensive hobbies)
Old 12-30-2007, 07:42 PM

For the past few years I've been putting off buying any SD DVDs because I knew I would be upgrading soon. So I've been buying a lot of recent releases. I had also been waiting for a better edition of Blade Runner to come out on SD DVD for about 5 years now. Getting it on HD has justified the wait.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:25 PM

Strategy: Well my strategy has had o change. With SD dvd's I collected movies by directors and actors. I would try to get al of a directors films. Like say the Coen Brothers or David Lynch. Or by actor like Steve Buscemi or Billy Bob Thornton. I bought the movie even when they only had a line in the movie. Like Bill Bob as the "Day Tripper" in Indecent Proposal. Now with BD an HD and me supporting HD right now that strategy will be hard.

I think I am going nastalgic right now. I am interested in say The Getaway with Steve McQueen. I have also bought the Wild Bunch, The Deer Hunter, & Dog Day Afternoon. I gotta say they don't make um like they used boy. The Last Starfighter, I can't wait for my kids to be old enough to watch and appreciate that movie. Even Tremors I will be picking up soon too. Hey to think of it if you wanna trade or sell Tremors let me know.

But I really like your thinking here. Strategy for buying movies. Mine? Well. because I collect movies. People always ask me why I buy or have so many. Why do people have a lot anything? Because we like them. I like shopping for them. Finding deals and finding them as cheap as possible. For me a good deal is hard to pass up. Unless the flick really stunk.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:36 PM

I only buy stuff with replay value. I rent the rest if i can. I'll have to work till i'm 90 if i want to replace all my s dvd's.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
I only buy stuff with replay value. I rent the rest if i can. I'll have to work till i'm 90 if i want to replace all my s dvd's.
+1 on that. I'll never spend $20-30 on something I'm only going to watch once.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:56 PM

I sold off the majority of my DVD collection, so have been pre-occupied with replacing my favorite movies on HD DVD, but of coarse I'm still shelling out for new titles, as well as the odd import here and there. I'm kind of annoyed that I haven't replaced Lost In Translation yet, that's right behind Fear And Loathing and The Big Lebowski, both of which I replaced fairly early on.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:36 PM

The moment I heard there would be HD discs, I stopped buying SD DVDs unless it was a title I really enjoyed watching and/or if it was dirt cheap. I'm continuing the same strategy with the HD DVDs I've been buying the past 2 months. However, there are some titles that I want which aren't available in HD DVD and/or Blu-Ray such as LOTR or Star Wars Episodes 4-6. Sold a lot of my SD DVDs since it was taking up too much space and 85% of them I probably either watched only once or never touched it.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:54 AM

I know what movies I want and I wait until they go on sale or if I see it at a good price I buy it,not much of a strategy
Old 01-01-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceace View Post
Even Tremors I will be picking up soon too. Hey to think of it if you wanna trade or sell Tremors let me know.
Sorry I already traded with a friend for The Last Samurai. I will be buying and trading more online though. And I will let you know for future trades.

Last edited by GetMeABeer; 01-01-2008 at 03:09 PM.