Harry Potter - DVD vs HD-DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-30-2007, 12:00 AM

Default Harry Potter - DVD vs HD-DVD

Hi Everyone,

I just rented Harry Potter and the order of the Phoenix as a combo DVD\HD DVD.

I don't mind those combos just for the fact that you can test the difference between HD-DVD and DVD. I suggest to anyone who owns the movie to try watching the first 10 minutes of the movie on HD and then go back to normal DVD.

I felt like I was watching a VHS. No joke. The difference is insane.

God I am loving my HD DVDs.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenz View Post
Hi Everyone,

I just rented Harry Potter and the order of the Phoenix as a combo DVD\HD DVD.

I don't mind those combos just for the fact that you can test the difference between HD-DVD and DVD. I suggest to anyone who owns the movie to try watching the first 10 minutes of the movie on HD and then go back to normal DVD.

I felt like I was watching a VHS. No joke. The difference is insane.

God I am loving my HD DVDs.
Definitely. You can see a large difference in older catalog titles as well. I have the DVD of The Omega Man and I bought and watched the HD DVD the other day and it simply blows the original DVD away.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:28 AM

I threw in HP:TOOTP for my gf and she was stunned at the difference and she was simply remembering the dvd she had of it at home.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:07 AM

I did this today as well with HP 5. I do think, however, that the DVD side is a sub-par transfer, though it may very well be the same version as the standalone DVD. It does look far worse though, especially close up or blown up. Thank God for HD.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:20 AM

OOTP is one of the best looking HD DVD releases I have seen. You do not fully grasp the difference of SD vs HD until you go back and try to watch a DVD.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:37 AM

I agree! I'm not even a Potter fan and enjoyed the flick just because it is HD. I really don't understand folks who can't tell a difference between SD and HD, especially if they have newer TV sets. I guess they are expecting the movie to look like a HD broadcast of a football game.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:17 AM

I really don't think that it looks superbly amazing.. It looks great but The Kingdom and Eastern Promises looked better in my book!
Old 12-30-2007, 05:32 AM

I'm just suprised WB took such a diff tack across the pond putting SD features on the US and adding another Disc in the UK putting the features in HD

I like 2 discs sets they make you feel you've spent 20 on something :lol:
Old 12-30-2007, 05:43 AM
Always SpartanJohnson

did everyone notice the combo doesn't include the DVD side available in stores? I got a copy from Warner and I don't know if they did it for review purposes or the bonus features were left out on the DVD side? I was going to check out the digital file of the movie included with the standard DVD.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanJohnson View Post
did everyone notice the combo doesn't include the DVD side available in stores? I got a copy from Warner and I don't know if they did it for review purposes or the bonus features were left out on the DVD side? I was going to check out the digital file of the movie included with the standard DVD.
The retail SD DVD is a 2-disc set. All the bonus features that are on the HD are on the second SD. All 5 potter movies are this way for the SD version