'Departed' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-13-2007, 12:43 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Departed' - High-Def Digest Review

Just posted Peter's review of 'The Departed,' and -- believe the hype -- it looks like we have our next must-own HD DVD. Great movie, strong video and audio and even a few supplements (hard to ask for more with the film's theatrical run so recent).

Peter's review of this dual format release also includes a first ever head-to-head comparison of the HD DVD's True HD track and the Blu-ray's PCM 5.1 surround track...

Full review here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/departed.html
Old 02-13-2007, 02:13 PM

It is amazing...and by the way Canadians it is 32.99 at FS(No Blu-rays either ) ...Best buy doesn't have anything they are so incompetent...
Old 02-13-2007, 05:29 PM

I just got this in the mail, and I missed it in theaters.

I am so excited.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:59 PM

The sound comparision doesn't say what steps were taken to make sure Blu-ray and HD DVD were calibrated to play at exactly the same level, without that information any perceived edge to either format isn't really worth a lot.
Also, the review doesn't give a lot of information on what steps were made to make sure the listener couldn't guess which format was being played from other than just sound. Actually using a blindfold wouldn't have been such a bad idea.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:44 AM

Saw it in Theaters. Watched it one and a half times tonight. It's a fantastic film on par with Scorsese's best stuff. It breezes by with each viewing and I have to say that I agree with Bracke's review, however I disagree with his assessment of Nicholson's performance. Jack is awesome in the movie and he does some of his eccentric acting, but I love it and it makes Costello a flamboyant character, which he would've been all mob guys are characters in real life because they're naturally "nuts" and watch movies to perform just look at the real-life Don, John Gotti. By all accounts the real Frank Costello was a nut.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:47 AM

Man. I need to order this movie, apparently.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:59 PM

I didn't have a chance to pick this one up yesterday, so I headed to my nearby BB at lunch and there were no copies in HD DVD. The saleslady I always ask about HD DVDs said they had gotten it in, she stocked it herself, but they sold out quickly. Good news that they're selling well, but I haven't got one yet
Old 02-16-2007, 02:06 PM

I was not impressed at all with the HD transfer. It was not much sharper than the flip side DVD, noticable but not like I would expect. Frankly I had to double check to make sure I was watching the right side. I enjoyed the movie though. Best looking part of the flick was the WB logo before the opening credits.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:02 PM

I finally gave in and joined Amazon Prime, then ordered this movie and some others. It's supposed to arrive on Wednesday - can't wait!
Old 02-18-2007, 07:24 PM
noobydoo

Just got through watching The Departed and really enjoyed it. One of those great movies you get involved with the characters and 2.5 hours time just vanishes. Highly recommended.