Serenity 2? Look at the Amazon sales... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-27-2007, 08:50 PM

Default Serenity 2? Look at the Amazon sales...

Why oh why won't the make a second film or (better yet) bring back the TV series Firefly? If you look at Amazon's current top overall DVD sales, outside of Harry Potter which takes spots 1-4 (and they're HD-DVD), the next HD spot of any kind is Serenity which is consistently a top DVD seller. How does Universal not get this (let alone Fox for not relesing Firefly in HD)?
Old 12-27-2007, 08:56 PM

I would love a new movie, or the series revived. Although it would be different now that Wash is dead.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:00 PM
formerly "SpazMedicine"

They made the film based on how amazingly well the DVD of the TV series sold. And guess what happened.... the movie tanked in theaters. Why would Universal greenlight another film? Clearly, this series/film has a ridiculously hardcore set of fan(atic)s, but there aren't enough of them to make any venture profitable, save for maybe a cheap DTV movie. And for whatever reason, Serenity/Firefly just never caught on with the main stream.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:01 PM
O_o

Go here for some info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenit...ilm%29#Sequels regarding a sequel. I'd love to see one too personally. Great film and show.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:02 PM

doesn't have to be released to theaters ... they could easily do a Battlestar Galactica Razor type of movie or miniseries direct to HD-DVD (and DVD and TV)
Old 12-27-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
Why oh why won't the make a second film or (better yet) bring back the TV series Firefly? If you look at Amazon's current top overall DVD sales, outside of Harry Potter which takes spots 1-4 (and they're HD-DVD), the next HD spot of any kind is Serenity which is consistently a top DVD seller. How does Universal not get this (let alone Fox for not relesing Firefly in HD)?
It made jack shit in the theaters.

Even though it did good on video, they don't want to fund a bunch of $40 million movies that do bad in theaters while doing very good on home video.

Fox owns the rights to the name Firefly, that's probably why we haven't seen it been brought back as a Sci-Fi channel series.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
It made jack shit in the theaters.

Even though it did good on video, they don't want to fund a bunch of $40 million movies that do bad in theaters while doing very good on home video.

Sadly, no matter how good a show or movie is, it has to bring in the ratings or the money. The series Firefly did horrible ratings even by Fox Network standards, and the movie Serenity did just what the quoted post said it did. A studio can't keep spending money on something that doesn't turn a profit... good DVD sales doesn't always translate into box office success or a primetime hit.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazMedicine View Post
And for whatever reason, Serenity/Firefly just never caught on with the main stream.
The reason the TV show never caught on was undoubtedly because the Fox network showed the episodes out of order (the pilot aired somewhere in the middle of the run) and bounced it around the schedule due to a lack of faith. They more or less created a self-fulfilling prophecy and it never caught on.

The film flopping is a little hazier. I've read some criticism of the marketing tactics, relying on the existing fanbase to spread awareness rather than aiming towards new viewers. I think it might have been tied a little to closely as a continuation of the show (that few had seen) rather than a film property in its own right (although, arguably, the film itself does enough to ease new viewers into it's world).

Personally I'd love to see the story continued in some form, it's one of those properties that makes you despair at J6P for not getting it whilst sending shit like Spiderman 3 to the top of the charts!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:35 PM
formerly "SpazMedicine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffyman View Post
The film flopping is a little hazier. I've read some criticism of the marketing tactics, relying on the existing fanbase to spread awareness rather than aiming towards new viewers. I think it might have been tied a little to closely as a continuation of the show (that few had seen) rather than a film property in its own right (although, arguably, the film itself does enough to ease new viewers into it's world).
I, for one, never watched a single episode of the TV show, but did watch the movie in the theater. I am curious to see how I'd react to rewatching it now, but at the time, I disliked it a lot. But, the marketing was effective enough to get me there, despite having never seen the show.

The movie failed because it featured a cast of unknowns in a genre movie directed by an unknown (to movies). And while people will argue about the quality of the output, there was nothing exceptionally unique in concept about the movie (as far as sci-fi's go) to get the general public into theaters.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazMedicine View Post
The movie failed because it featured a cast of unknowns in a genre movie directed by an unknown (to movies). And while people will argue about the quality of the output, there was nothing exceptionally unique in concept about the movie (as far as sci-fi's go) to get the general public into theaters.
All perfectly valid points which do make it harder for a genre product to break-out into the mainstream. I do recall it was heavily sold on Joss Whedon's name with references to 'Buffy' etc, which might not have played in it's favour.

I'd argue that the blending of the sci-fi and western genres is 'fairly' unique but, perhaps, not exactly without precedent. The rest is, as you say, arguing about the quality of the output itself which I'll admit, would interest me to hear what you didn't like about it.