Amazon.com Security - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-27-2007, 03:10 PM
jedimasterasd's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 83
Default Amazon.com Security

Just thought I would inform you all that I was recently a victim of Identity theft on my Capital One credit card that has never been used anywhere besides Amazon.com. It aparently happened back in Sept. but I just recently discovered some reaccuring charges to my card from some websites. After some investigation turns out someone got ahold of my card number and was using it. I got the card to help build some credit and have only used it to by HD DVD movies once a month or so and always pay it off. Then when I recently went to pay my bill my card was maxed. Long story short is unless some dude just randomly entered numbers which turned out to be mine and the exact exp date with exact security code then my card and info was obtained from Amazon.com. Just letting youall know so you can be aware and make sure this doesn't happen to you as well.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-27-2007, 03:34 PM
MrE's Avatar
MrE MrE is offline
Formerly MrENGLISH
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,966
Default

Not every place requires the 3 digit code on the back of the card. It is also easy for someone to "guess" your card number esp if they have a similar CC through the same bank. The only reason they appeared to have gotten away with it is because you weren't paying attention to your account up until now.

I wouldn't place the blame on Amazon. Hopefully you'll be able to resolve everything. You may also want to check your computer for spyware. Similar thing happened to a good friend of mine and they didn't even have all his info right and managed to open an account and charged over $5K worth of merchandise with it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Blurry's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,187
Default

Thanks for the heads up, though I have been using Amazon literally (and extensively) for more than a decade (pretty much since they started up) and I have never had the slightest problem.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-27-2007, 03:51 PM
LiK's Avatar
LiK LiK is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 670
Default

good to know cuz i had a Mastercard that also had its number stolen 2 months ago (not related to amazon). but my CC company notified me a day after some suspicious charges were made and i cancelled the card and the disputed charges were resolved. i only used it a few times this year in some retail stores.

it's pretty scary when you're a victim. i doubt it's Amazon's fault but it could be an employee who stole the # cuz i read that happens sometimes with many retailers and hotels.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-27-2007, 03:52 PM
ericwithcheese's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
Thanks for the heads up, though I have been using Amazon literally (and extensively) for more than a decade (pretty much since they started up) and I have never had the slightest problem.
Same here, although not as long as you. But I have used them almost exclusively for my online DVD purchases (save for imports) for the last seven years.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-27-2007, 03:58 PM
jedimasterasd's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 83
Default

Yeah I didn't even think about spyware, that very well could have been it. I'm not by any means saying to stop using Amazon I will still use them as it's the cheapest place for HD movies I've found along with buy.com I was just letting people know to maybe check alittle closer to their bill especially with the craziness that is the holiday season. I do run 2 anti spyware programs VERY regularly though. Like 2-3 times a week. I use Ad-Aware and ESET security center which has a personal firewall, anti spyware, and the Nod32 antivirus software which is very good. Thanks for sugesting the spyware though ill def look into that when I get home from work.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-27-2007, 04:10 PM
ericwithcheese's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 226
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterasd View Post
Yeah I didn't even think about spyware, that very well could have been it. I'm not by any means saying to stop using Amazon I will still use them as it's the cheapest place for HD movies I've found along with buy.com I was just letting people know to maybe check alittle closer to their bill especially with the craziness that is the holiday season. I do run 2 anti spyware programs VERY regularly though. Like 2-3 times a week. I use Ad-Aware and ESET security center which has a personal firewall, anti spyware, and the Nod32 antivirus software which is very good. Thanks for sugesting the spyware though ill def look into that when I get home from work.

Yeah it could easily be a number of things. Unsavory employees at Amazon, or your bank for that matter... a security breach somewhere along the line, spyware, etc. For all the "security" all these websites supposedly provide, its still fairly easy to get someone's bank and credit card information and other personal information. Its part of the trade off in the digital age.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 40
Default

I agree with the above post with it not being amazon itself as they don't require the three digit code, but i hope that you do get this all solved and don't become one of those people afraid to purchase online again.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Blurry's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterasd View Post
Yeah I didn't even think about spyware, that very well could have been it. I'm not by any means saying to stop using Amazon I will still use them as it's the cheapest place for HD movies I've found along with buy.com I was just letting people know to maybe check alittle closer to their bill especially with the craziness that is the holiday season. I do run 2 anti spyware programs VERY regularly though. Like 2-3 times a week. I use Ad-Aware and ESET security center which has a personal firewall, anti spyware, and the Nod32 antivirus software which is very good. Thanks for sugesting the spyware though ill def look into that when I get home from work.
Btw, there have been some phishing emails pretending to be Amazon asking you to update your account. One that happened maybe 6 months ago was very well done and almost had me fooled (though I realized it in time - and then reported it to Amazon).

As a rule of thumb, any emails which ends up asking for account info (or even bring you to a login page which looks like Amazon - they will use the password that you type in to get your info from Amazon) - just throw such emails away - no matter how official it seems. If you have a doubt, call Amazon customer service.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-27-2007, 04:24 PM
ericwithcheese's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
Btw, there have been some phishing emails pretending to be Amazon asking you to update your account. One that happened maybe 6 months ago was very well done and almost had me fooled (though I realized it in time - and then reported it to Amazon).

As a rule of thumb, any emails which ends up asking for account info (or even bring you to a login page which looks like Amazon - they will use the password that you type in to get your info from Amazon) - just throw such emails away - no matter how official it seems. If you have a doubt, call Amazon customer service.

Good point. I got one of these "log in and update your account" emails from not an amazon-wannabe but from a paypal-wannabe, and one from someone pretending to be from my Bank of America account. I have heard of such scams disguised as emails from eBay as well.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What about Java Security Vulnerabilities and BD-J? ippirate High Definition Smackdown 14 07-16-2007 01:23 AM
Beat-Fingerprint-Security-By-Cutting-Off-Finger Trick No Longer Viable Thanks To Sony illegalprelude The Water Cooler 4 06-20-2007 03:53 PM
*RANT* Buena Vista Security Black Square Tabs Grand Master B Blu-ray Software General Discussion 10 05-03-2007 01:51 AM
Security Fixed Cieljek General Discussion: Both Formats 1 04-10-2007 03:57 PM
Blu-ray and HD DVD security cracked! moepain4u General Discussion: Both Formats 3 01-04-2007 08:10 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off