Amazon.com Security - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-27-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Amazon.com Security

Just thought I would inform you all that I was recently a victim of Identity theft on my Capital One credit card that has never been used anywhere besides Amazon.com. It aparently happened back in Sept. but I just recently discovered some reaccuring charges to my card from some websites. After some investigation turns out someone got ahold of my card number and was using it. I got the card to help build some credit and have only used it to by HD DVD movies once a month or so and always pay it off. Then when I recently went to pay my bill my card was maxed. Long story short is unless some dude just randomly entered numbers which turned out to be mine and the exact exp date with exact security code then my card and info was obtained from Amazon.com. Just letting youall know so you can be aware and make sure this doesn't happen to you as well.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Not every place requires the 3 digit code on the back of the card. It is also easy for someone to "guess" your card number esp if they have a similar CC through the same bank. The only reason they appeared to have gotten away with it is because you weren't paying attention to your account up until now.

I wouldn't place the blame on Amazon. Hopefully you'll be able to resolve everything. You may also want to check your computer for spyware. Similar thing happened to a good friend of mine and they didn't even have all his info right and managed to open an account and charged over $5K worth of merchandise with it.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the heads up, though I have been using Amazon literally (and extensively) for more than a decade (pretty much since they started up) and I have never had the slightest problem.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:51 PM

good to know cuz i had a Mastercard that also had its number stolen 2 months ago (not related to amazon). but my CC company notified me a day after some suspicious charges were made and i cancelled the card and the disputed charges were resolved. i only used it a few times this year in some retail stores.

it's pretty scary when you're a victim. i doubt it's Amazon's fault but it could be an employee who stole the # cuz i read that happens sometimes with many retailers and hotels.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
Thanks for the heads up, though I have been using Amazon literally (and extensively) for more than a decade (pretty much since they started up) and I have never had the slightest problem.
Same here, although not as long as you. But I have used them almost exclusively for my online DVD purchases (save for imports) for the last seven years.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:58 PM

Yeah I didn't even think about spyware, that very well could have been it. I'm not by any means saying to stop using Amazon I will still use them as it's the cheapest place for HD movies I've found along with buy.com I was just letting people know to maybe check alittle closer to their bill especially with the craziness that is the holiday season. I do run 2 anti spyware programs VERY regularly though. Like 2-3 times a week. I use Ad-Aware and ESET security center which has a personal firewall, anti spyware, and the Nod32 antivirus software which is very good. Thanks for sugesting the spyware though ill def look into that when I get home from work.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:10 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterasd View Post
Yeah I didn't even think about spyware, that very well could have been it. I'm not by any means saying to stop using Amazon I will still use them as it's the cheapest place for HD movies I've found along with buy.com I was just letting people know to maybe check alittle closer to their bill especially with the craziness that is the holiday season. I do run 2 anti spyware programs VERY regularly though. Like 2-3 times a week. I use Ad-Aware and ESET security center which has a personal firewall, anti spyware, and the Nod32 antivirus software which is very good. Thanks for sugesting the spyware though ill def look into that when I get home from work.

Yeah it could easily be a number of things. Unsavory employees at Amazon, or your bank for that matter... a security breach somewhere along the line, spyware, etc. For all the "security" all these websites supposedly provide, its still fairly easy to get someone's bank and credit card information and other personal information. Its part of the trade off in the digital age.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:11 PM

I agree with the above post with it not being amazon itself as they don't require the three digit code, but i hope that you do get this all solved and don't become one of those people afraid to purchase online again.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimasterasd View Post
Btw, there have been some phishing emails pretending to be Amazon asking you to update your account. One that happened maybe 6 months ago was very well done and almost had me fooled (though I realized it in time - and then reported it to Amazon).

As a rule of thumb, any emails which ends up asking for account info (or even bring you to a login page which looks like Amazon - they will use the password that you type in to get your info from Amazon) - just throw such emails away - no matter how official it seems. If you have a doubt, call Amazon customer service.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
Btw, there have been some phishing emails pretending to be Amazon asking you to update your account. One that happened maybe 6 months ago was very well done and almost had me fooled (though I realized it in time - and then reported it to Amazon).

As a rule of thumb, any emails which ends up asking for account info (or even bring you to a login page which looks like Amazon - they will use the password that you type in to get your info from Amazon) - just throw such emails away - no matter how official it seems. If you have a doubt, call Amazon customer service.

Good point. I got one of these "log in and update your account" emails from not an amazon-wannabe but from a paypal-wannabe, and one from someone pretending to be from my Bank of America account. I have heard of such scams disguised as emails from eBay as well.