Kubrick??? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-27-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Kubrick???

Hi i was wondering if anyone had these titles and if there worth picking up? In england we dont even have these titles anywhere on the horizon to purchase so i would have to import so from first hand excperience are they a marked improvment over dvd and does anyone know where i can get them without pricey shipping and handling fees.
Thanks
Old 12-27-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steishigh View Post
Hi i was wondering if anyone had these titles and if there worth picking up? In england we dont even have these titles anywhere on the horizon to purchase so i would have to import so from first hand excperience are they a marked improvment over dvd and does anyone know where i can get them without pricey shipping and handling fees.
Thanks
2001, The Shining, and a Clockwork Orange are all good transfers. 2001 is absolutely amazing. Not a fan of Kubrick though. i read into all the hype on this site and was not impressed.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:14 PM

The films live up to the hype. A Clockwork Orange is the only Kubrick film I dislike but then I hated the book. His best film (IMO) was Dr. Strangelove not released on HD yet. I'd recommend picking up the other in the mean time.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
2001, The Shining, and a Clockwork Orange are all good transfers. 2001 is absolutely amazing. Not a fan of Kubrick though. i read into all the hype on this site and was not impressed.
I can't stand the man. At least we'll never have to suffer anymore of his celluloid twaddle. Ohhhhhh, that was quite bitchy of me!! I've been hanging around my sisters too much this holiday season...
Old 12-27-2007, 08:13 PM

i bought the shining and full metal jacket

the shining is an excellent transfer and i recommend it
full metal jacket is a good transfer (not on the same level as the shining but still far better than the SD-DVD)

i saw part of 2001 and it looked damn good... it's on my list of movies to buy
Old 12-27-2007, 08:20 PM

2001, FMJ, SHINING and CLOCKWORK ORANGE, are consistently(sp) counted among some of the finest films ever produced. Very much worth the investment if you have the interest.
Keep in mind they are not kid's films.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
The films live up to the hype. A Clockwork Orange is the only Kubrick film I dislike but then I hated the book. His best film (IMO) was Dr. Strangelove not released on HD yet. I'd recommend picking up the other in the mean time.
What did you dislike about the novel? Comparing the two I can understand the dislike of Kubrick's treatment, but it still is an amazing film, but not loving the novel?
Old 12-27-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny gaunt View Post
What did you dislike about the novel? Comparing the two I can understand the dislike of Kubrick's treatment, but it still is an amazing film, but not loving the novel?
Honestly, don't get me started on that book!
Old 12-27-2007, 11:36 PM

Default Kubrick is a genius

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but his work stands the test of time and he took his time making each of his films. No other film director was even close to the perfectionist that he was.

I have all his available films on HD DVD & even have 2001 coming on BD as well, Warner sent me both by mistake.

The only one that I have seen so far is The Shinning & that film has never looked better & I have seen it numerous times.

These are all classics, but I am a HUGE Kubrick fan & rank him up there with Hitchcock among my favorites.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Erased View Post
Honestly, don't get me started on that book!
Are you being serious? Were you unable to translate the nadsat? Do you know the origins of this masterwork? Have you read the 21st chapter? I find it hard to understand a polar opinion to this work. Differing opinions and all but, it's an amazing piece of Lit. As good as his THE WANTING SEED.