Absolutely horrendous Canadian prices... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-13-2007, 04:15 AM

Default Absolutely horrendous Canadian prices...

Okay, I'm going to rant real quick, everyone watch out... You've been warned.

I'm absolutely SICK of the prices of HD-DVDs in Canada. Everytime I visit this page, I see all the "19.95" HD-DVDs up in the Amazon advertisement, and I drool. Even with my discount at Blockbuster, I don't get that kind of price.

Sometimes I'll luck out and get an HD-DVD for around 23.99, which is a good price in my opinion. That sounds about right compared to the 19.95 Amazon USD price. However these deals are only to be found at Wal-Mart, whose selection is piss poor.

Now I see that Futureshop.ca is listing "Children of Men" at 54.99. That's the last straw. I mean, 55 bucks for a combo disc?!? They did it with Accepted, You me & Dupree and Miami Vice as well. Universal is killing themselves with this shitty Canadian pricing.

I wish I could order from Amazon.com, I really do. And before you say "But sir, you can!", I've had very bad experiences with it before. It never fails that everytime somehting gets sent to me from out of the country, I get a huge tax on it when it's delivered. I'm not talking a couple bucks either... Last time it was 9 whole bucks! For a DVD!

Plus, shipping rates to Canada suck too. It's just more added cost for these damn HD-DVDs.

Don't get me wrong, I love the format, I got my 360 Add-on for Christmas and I already have 16 movies for it... I just wish that I wasn't so broke buying the damn things.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:20 AM

What is the exchange rate between CND and USD? (assuming the CN amazon is using CND.)

Cheers
Christy
Old 02-13-2007, 04:37 AM

Thumbs down

Dang I feel bad for u. Dont you know anyone in the states that can bring some over or drive over. $55.00 hell no better get a freee hair cut and a car wash with that.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:32 AM

canada sucks, i said tat many times
Old 02-13-2007, 08:58 AM

$55 is absurd for one friggin' movie-Unless it was SW of course. When you import over, do they add insurance? If they can add insurance and make the insured amount much lower then the actual value of the movies, you can pretty much beat out these tax charges. If you have a friend in the States, I would have him/her send it out to you personally. You will have a much better chance of beating out these charges (they can insure it for a $1.00.) I only know this from dealing with Ebay (selling) for so many years. Canada does not suck I lived in Montreal for half a year and loved every minute of it!

Last edited by dandeeswish; 02-13-2007 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:15 AM

lol it does not suck i know, but in terms of getting these prodcuts on time, it sucks.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:42 AM

FS and BB usually first list the titles at full MSRP, then lower them close to release date. But they do f-ed up things sometimes like Miami Vice being listed for the $50+. They're cheaper at different stores, and they'll price match+beat by 10% of the difference, so you can usually play FS off of BB and get it cheaper. Or you can just order on Amazon.com. I had a great experiance getting 3 movies from them, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again if prices here are out of control. (I live in Toronto, ON)
Old 02-13-2007, 12:31 PM

I agree, I'm in Alberta. Any place that has decent prices seems to have poor selection, and it's not because they're selling out. I had to buy Mummy Returns off of ebay because if you could actually find it in a store, the price was like $45.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love the format, I got my 360 Add-on for Christmas and I already have 16 movies for it... I just wish that I wasn't so broke buying the damn things.
*blank stare*

Just try eBay? A lot (mind you, not all) of eBay sellers are very helpfull, and should help take away the tax you get charged. Or there are numerous websites out there (dvdtalk.com) for one which welcome Canadian traders. Not everyone is willing to trade with Canadian traders due to past experiances, but a majority of people will.

Look around, there are plenty of opportunities to get around those hideous prices. This is the internet after all...
Old 02-13-2007, 02:19 PM

Well, myself and several others over at www.digitalhome.ca have ordered from Amazon.com and I have yet to hear of anyone getting dinged with duty.

Someone meantioned that the orders are placed with Amazon.com, but they ship via Amazon.ca in Canada.

I ordered 3 disks while they had their 10% off promotion before the holidays. Serenity, 12 Monkeys and Sleepy Hollow for $63 US delivered to my door in about 10 days.

EDIT: Apparently these packages are no longer getting through without duty. I guess it was good while it lasted.

Last edited by Icy Red; 02-14-2007 at 04:49 PM.