Need some info for an article I'm writing... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-25-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Need some info for an article I'm writing...

Need some advice for an article I'm writing...

Hi all, Iím writing an article thatís going to talk about the format war, heading into CES. Iíve been a member of the videogame industry for quite a few years now and figured itíd be a nice time to start covering the format war. Iíve had a PlayStation 3 since it first launched, you can thank Sony for that, and have just recently bought an HD-DVD player for my own viewing pleasure.

What Iím looking for are the absolute best HD-DVD titles out there that show off picture quality, sound quality, PiP features and web enabled content. I know there are many discs out there that have a bit of everything but Iíll be putting these movies directly against the best Blu-ray titles out there and I want to be as fair as possible.

Iíd also like to know what you would consider to be the HD-DVD player that most users around the world own. I know that whenever Toshiba has big deals on their lower end models they sell out in seconds, but I want to be fair with this article and donít want to use a lower end model if you all donít believe thatís what the majority of people are using.

Iíll be sure to give these boards credit when writing the article and will link you all to it once it has been published.

Thanks in advance for the information.

-Elder
Old 12-25-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder View Post
Need some advice for an article I'm writing...

Hi all, Iím writing an article thatís going to talk about the format war, heading into CES. Iíve been a member of the videogame industry for quite a few years now and figured itíd be a nice time to start covering the format war. Iíve had a PlayStation 3 since it first launched, you can thank Sony for that, and have just recently bought an HD-DVD player for my own viewing pleasure.

What Iím looking for are the absolute best HD-DVD titles out there that show off picture quality, sound quality, PiP features and web enabled content. I know there are many discs out there that have a bit of everything but Iíll be putting these movies directly against the best Blu-ray titles out there and I want to be as fair as possible.

Iíd also like to know what you would consider to be the HD-DVD player that most users around the world own. I know that whenever Toshiba has big deals on their lower end models they sell out in seconds, but I want to be fair with this article and donít want to use a lower end model if you all donít believe thatís what the majority of people are using.

Iíll be sure to give these boards credit when writing the article and will link you all to it once it has been published.

Thanks in advance for the information.

-Elder
Movies to demo (my 10 favorites) -
1. Transformers
2. Bourne Ultimatum
3. King Kong
4. The Matrix
5. V for Vendetta
6. Hot Fuzz
7. HP OOTP
8. 300
9. Shrek the Third
10. Batman Begins

The most widely used player is probably the A2 and the most used higher end would be the XA-2. The A3 with the current pricepoint may have sold close to the A2 by now. You now have my two cents.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:04 PM

Thanks BJD. I hope I can get a few more responses to gauge the demo movies and players.

Anyways, Iíll certainly keep these suggestions in mind. Ideally Iíd like around ten or so people to reply, and then take an average of the movies and players suggested.

Thanks again
Old 12-25-2007, 09:30 PM

1. Transformers
2. Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix
3. 300

Each title above, in addition to providing a strong audio/visual experience, have several interesting and noteworthy high-def interactive extras.

Really though, what's the point of offering to help you? Judging by your posts at Blu-ray.com you have absolutely no intention of offering up a balanced article.

If you feel that Blu-ray offers a better overall experience than HD DVD, then so be it. But it's plainly obvious that you have a heavily tilted Blu-ray bias, and it's going to be quite the shore to keep that from showing in your article.

HD DVD and Blu-ray BOTH offer incredible picture and sound quality and they both, now or in the future, will offer great interactive content.

Will you at least discuss the different Blu-ray profiles, or talk about how each HD DVD player has USB ports should it be necessary in the future for increased storage (or USB keyboard support)?
Old 12-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

transformers
bourne ultimatum
shrek the third
harry potter 5

A2 most used player.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussTC3 View Post
1. Transformers
2. Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix
3. 300

Each title above, in addition to providing a strong audio/visual experience, have several interesting and noteworthy high-def interactive extras.

Really though, what's the point of offering to help you? Judging by your posts at Blu-ray.com you have absolutely no intention of offering up a balanced article.

If you feel that Blu-ray offers a better overall experience than HD DVD, then so be it. But it's plainly obvious that you have a heavily tilted Blu-ray bias, and it's going to be quite the shore to keep that from showing in your article.

HD DVD and Blu-ray BOTH offer incredible picture and sound quality and they both, now or in the future, will offer great interactive content.

Will you at least discuss the different Blu-ray profiles, or talk about how each HD DVD player has USB ports should it be necessary in the future for increased storage (or USB keyboard support)?
Wow, you weren't kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder @ blu-ray.com
For an article I'm writing I had to buy an HD-DVD player and I've been comparing the two ever since I brought it home. I've got to say, I know am more of a Blu-ray fan than I ever was before. While the HD-DVD camp may have had 'final' specs out, I'm extremely glad the BDA waited. For one thing, the downloadable content is too large for the HD-DVD player. What ends up happening if you have to download only a few things, delete them, and then download other stuff. Clearly this wasn't well thought out. Little things like this feel cheap compared to what we're already seeing done with Blu-ray. My review build of RE Extinction features a better PiP function than almost every other HD-DVD I've tested thus far.

Why did I just write all that, to say that 2008 will be a Blu year. I'm almost certain of it. The product is superior and now that prices are far more even I'm fairly certain you're going to see a massive surge in Blu-ray sales, even more so than we're already seeing. Both of these articles say the format war will end in 2008 and I fully agree with those statements based on what I've already seen with my own two eyes.
Quote:
Like many others here, once I went Blu, I never went back. I now own 73 Blu-ray movies (http://www.dvdspot.com/member=Elder). I'm doing everything in my power to help end this format war and pray that end arrives soon.
Quote:
Even though I'm new to these boards, I can see where you're coming from. I was very close to buying into HD-DVD earlier in the year, but I decided to make a stand. I sided with Blu-ray for a few reasons. For one, the fact that more companies supported Blu-ray over HD-DVD was enough to convince me this is where my money should be spent. On top of that, it was the ease of use. I run a videogame website and as such I have to purchase all the consoles out there in order to write reviews for all the games I receive. When I bought my PS3, I figured I'd try out the free Talladega Nights to see what the fuss was about with 1080p and all that jazz. I can't begin to tell you how happy I am I did that. It truly changed my life. Without it I never would have bothered with HD at all, even though I own a beautiful 1080p Sony Bravia.

I've never been a big movie buying fan but since I've had my PS3, a full year now, I own 72 Blu-ray movies. That's almost as many DVDs as I own. All of these factors have shaped my reasoning for sticking with Blu-ray over HD-DVD. I just can't see myself spending money on an HD-DVD player that has such limited support. To me that'd be a step in the wrong direction.

I can't tell the future and neither can anyone else but purely based on the support, I know where my money's going to go and that's not going to change anytime soon.
Nobody should help out this idiot, he already has his horribly bias mind all made up.

Last edited by Sporadic; 12-25-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:57 PM

IMO, the only meaningful way to compare the two formats is to acquire the Paramount encodes for Blu-ray that they made before switching to HD DVD exclusivity. Paramount explicitly did separate encodes for each format in order to take the best advantage of each, so it is the only way to really compare without pitting Apples against Oranges (choosing the best movies on either format really makes no meaningful comparison because they are entirely different movies with different feels and cinematic direction).
Old 12-25-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
Wow, you weren't kidding.

Nobody should help out this idiot, he already has just horribly bias mind all made up.
It sounds like you are correct, those posting show his obvious intentions.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:45 PM

I've been writing articles on subjects like this for years. As a matter of fact I actually leaked information on these very message boards ages ago. If you look at my history you'll see what I'm referring to. Personal beliefs are one thing, however being mature enough to write a professional article on a touchy subject is something else entirely.

I came here asking for titles that would help in the study I'm going to be partaking in. Based on those findings, I'll write the article. I have preferences to many different aspects of the gaming and movie industry, but I wouldn't be where I am now if I let my personal tastes get the better of me. A message board simply lets you openly discuss those preferences in a more personal setting.

Way back at E3 2004 (if memory serves) I was adamant that the Nintendo DS would fail against the upcoming PSP. For whatever reason, it just didnít appeal to me. However, this was a personal belief. I wrote messages on message boards stating these facts, but not in any articles I wrote professional. I posted editorial that stated my personal feelings, but whenever it came time to judge the system at face value, I did my job as I always do.

If no one wants to assist me further than that is fine, however name calling isnít what I was looking for. My personal beliefs are just that, personal. Why this format war has caused people to stoop so low is beyond me. Whatever I decide to post at any other message board is my prerogative; Iím not getting paid to write about these subjects here. I simply discuss various subjects across multiple boards. Why didnít anyone quote my comments from any of the other ten or so boards I visit? Automatically because Iím posting on a rival formatís boards in a positive manner and speaking my mind means Iím automatically going to write an article thatís completely biased and self centered? Why the heck would I have spent my own money on an HD-DVD player then? That doesnít make too much sense. If I was so biased I would have refused to take on the article in the first place.

I have every intention of doing what I wrote in the opening post. I will take note of the posters that have assisted me and make mention of these boards in the article. Iíll do exactly as I said I would do in the other message board I post in as well, and make note of the Blu-ray fans that have assisted me. Since Iíve asked for help on both fronts, Iím being as general as I can for this test. When you enter the workforce in journalism you have to learn to put your personal feelings aside when writing professional content or else you take the chance of losing the very thing youíre fighting for, journalistic integrity.

I do hope Iíve made some sense here and have not tried to invoke anything. Iím simply asking for a list of specific movies and players that would assist me in writing this article. If I wanted to bring up all my personal feelings on the format war, I would have posted in the smackdown section of these boards.

Thank you for your time.

-Elder
Old 12-25-2007, 11:58 PM

I would say even the current lists that people have given you are probably about it. I mean those are the best HD DVD's in terms of pq and aq. I could list some Warner titles, but they are identical to the BD version. Trying to compare titles becomes pointless after a while because both sides have plenty of total A+ examples as well as total C- examples. I mean there is no way to discern any differences between the formats in this way given the current state of things. That's simply the core reality that you should focus on. There is only one title that I am aware of that is a newer release on BOTH formats with a different encode by the same company, and it is that nature title. Can't think of the name off the top of my head. So far the reviews I have seen of this one title say any difference in pq is negligible. end of story for now.