First time buyer - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-23-2007, 04:28 PM

Default First time buyer

Hi all, having had a ps3 for a while i have already bought some blu ray and last week i bought the 360 add on to play hds. First of all coming from england i know i am best of importing because prices here are ridiculous and limited in comparison, so does anyone know of any good websites that are reasonably priced and don't charge for handling (as i found amazon did buying blu ray from them)?
Secondly could anyone recommend the best hd's to start of with, i am not a disconcerting buyer, i buy all and any films for my collection so if anyone can name the best films of reference quality (hopefully hd exclusive rather than one's on both formats)?
Also has anyone bought the Kubrick titles, they are the ones i am most excited about and thinking of getting if they are any good because in england we dont even have a release date for them?
Finally do new animated film (ala simpson's, pixar) look remarkably better in highdef over dvd considering they are both from digital sources and just animation so don't worry about sharp lines and flesh tones etc as much????
Thanks for helping newbie.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:51 PM

www.playusa.com and www.sendit.com are ones I usually use. I pay around 17.99 max for titiles.

www.hdaddicts.com is another one I got Shrek 3 and FaceOff for around 33.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:52 PM

Can't really recommend a place to order them, but I highly recommend picking up Blade Runner if you don't already have it on Blu. All three Bourne pictures are pretty great too.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:29 PM

I live in Norway and import most of my movies from the US, there are some European exclusives worth grabbing, but in regards to price there is no doubt that US shops are the way to go.

The US shops I would recommend are : Amazon.com, Dvdpacific.com and deepdiscount.com

For european releases : Play.com, Amazon.co.uk, amazon.de, blahdvd.com and thehut.com

For eyecandy/reference titles, check out the Tier thread on this board here.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:47 PM

HD Movie Source (I can't link!)

They were good for me when I ordered Transfomers and Poseidon. They do have a shipping fee, so factor that into your expenses. My package came through marked as gift so you can get away with importing just a little bit more than usual.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:48 AM

I'm in the UK too. For US titles I mostly use Movietyme and Axel Music whilst I tend to get most UK titles from Sendit.