For those who have Battlestar S1 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-23-2007, 09:24 AM

Default For those who have Battlestar S1

For those who have Battlestar S1 I am wondering what the video quality is like as I find the review says that it is both good and bad. So how does it compare to other HD DVDs and the regular DVD of Battlestar?
Old 12-27-2007, 03:57 AM

Default Video is better

I have both the DVD and HD DVD sets. Of the two, HD DVD video IS better although it's subtle - at least on my screen. FWIW, I think the review focused on some technical aspects and somewhat missed the point.

For example in the initial Caprica-based scenes in the miniseries, Six's clothing stands out compared to the DVD. You can see the sparkly threads in her coat she wears at the waterfront walk scene; also the gauze threads in her see-through outfit that she wears in Balkar's house; it doesn't look see-through on the DVD.

HD DVD makes the grain in the space-based scenes stand out even more; DVD blurs it somewhat. Grain is what the makers want, and personally I like the look, but it won't please everyone. The colors are more saturated on HD DVD.

On the otherhand the models (Vipers, Raptors etc.) come out looking shinier/crisper on HD DVD and I thought this makes them look more like models.

The sound is the biggest improvement on HD DVD.

The packaging truely is horrible; it's frustrating trying to get the cardboard holder in and out of the acetate jacket. It doesn't help that the corners are cut off - nothing to grab hold of. I hope they never try that again.

If you already own the DVD set - then the HD DVD set is worth it if you are a real BSG fan.

Last edited by billd; 12-27-2007 at 04:08 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:04 PM

I think we were all anticipating this set so much we set ourselves up for disapointment.I was very disapointed at first, especially with the mini series, but found i grew to really appreciate the look and feel when I got into the reg. series.
I also found that turning the contrast and brightness down really made everything stand out.
As far as the packaging goes it leaves a lot to be desired.It was a great idea that didn't transate well into reality.Why doesn't everyone send a note to Universal letting them know the loyalty of the fans want to see a new transfer and make sure they get season 2&3 right.