The Kingdom, just watched - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-22-2007, 09:44 PM

Default The Kingdom, just watched

Good movie in general. My local BestBuy put it out early for some reason along with Rush hour 3 which was released a day in advance (Blu Ray and SD DVD).

The picture is the usual quality expected from 1080p VC1 and there wasn't much grain or noise at all that I noticed. The Audio was good, but could have benefited from a lossless encode. The DD+ was full and very solid with lots of punch when necessary. The movie goes from scenes of no action and lots of dialog to scenes where it's all in your face explosive action without warning. I found every word to be clear and very well defined as well.

Overall I'd recommend it. Anybody else pick this up early?

The extra features include PIP with cast interviews and behind the scenes footage as well as a unique ability to view the finale from the perspective of any of the 4 characters. That's a very cool feature that offers a view of that particular scene which you don't get from just watching the film. Each character has a unique set of circumstances that play out. The HD DVD is alwo web enabled that allows you to download trailers and whatnot. I haven't explored this feature yet however.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:19 PM

Sounds awesome..Im going to pick it up tommorrow at BB.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:19 PM

I just picked up The Kingdom, along with Eastern Promises, at my local Circuit City. I was originally going to wait for the Best Buy Buy 2, Get 1 sale starting tomorrow but then I realized there really isn't another (3rd) disc that I want this week (not even an older title). That, plus the fact that I got a CC gift card as an early Christmas present sent me to CC.

The Kingdom goes on the player in about 15 minutes. I'm saving Eastern Promises for Christmas Day.

Mark
Old 12-23-2007, 01:52 AM

I loved this movie!!! The last 15-20 minutes had me sitting, quite literally, on the edge of my seat!!!

Two thumbs WAY up for The Kingdom!!!

Mark
Old 12-23-2007, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
I loved this movie!!! The last 15-20 minutes had me sitting, quite literally, on the edge of my seat!!!

Two thumbs WAY up for The Kingdom!!!

Mark

Would you put it up their with Bourne?

I plan on getting this tomorrow anyway with Eastern Promises and Timecop.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
Would you put it up their with Bourne?

I plan on getting this tomorrow anyway with Eastern Promises and Timecop.
Bourne is a different type of movie. In Bourne it's more of a super spy movie. The Kingdom is a bit different in how it plays out.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:28 AM

The Kingdom really was a sleeper hit. Must see!
Old 12-23-2007, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
The Kingdom really was a sleeper hit. Must see!
I saw previews for it on TV and said "I'm gonna see that in the theater". I never got around to it. I can't say whether or not that would affect my decision to buy it on HD DVD or if I had seen it, if I would have still purchased it when it released on HDM.

It's one of those movies that looks good at first then you have doubts, then after viewing it you enjoy it.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:17 AM

GREAT movie...i loved it. but i hated when coach died in the begining! (i'm a big friday night lights fan) lol
Old 12-23-2007, 06:28 AM

here is a question to all who watched it is it what it seems to be a story of bringing terrorist to justice or another one of those wishy washy anti-war movies with some action?