Blade Runner HD-DVD Missing in Action - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-22-2007, 12:47 AM

Default Blade Runner HD-DVD Missing in Action

I live in the San Fernando Valley (just north of Los Angeles). Does anyone in this area know where I can find an HD-DVD copy of Blade Runner? There must have been some sort of shipping problem to this area. It seems that there are plenty of HD-DVD copies available in other areas, as noted on this site but not here. I have checked all Frys, Best Buys, Circuit Citys, Borders, etc. I have yet to even see one on a shelf. I have only seen Blu-ray copies. Some stores reported receiving on a handfull of HD-DVD versions, far shot of what they ordered and those were gone a few hours after they were put on the shelves. Other stores report never receiving their HD-DVD order, only their Blu-rays. While I am format neutral, I want this film on HD-DVD because of the reported problems with the Blu-ray version (no work print copy on disc 5).
Old 12-22-2007, 12:51 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-F...rd_i=193642011
http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-F...rd_i=193642011
Old 12-22-2007, 12:56 AM

Well, why not just order it from CC, BB, Frys, Amazon or the like. As it seems you are going to wait no matter what.

I tried to wait until the CC or BB here got a copy in. I checked on Wednesday and the Ultimate version (which is what I wanted) was MIA from BB and Wal-Mart's site and just a place holder with one person selling a used copy on Amazon. CC still had it so I whipped out my credit card and ordered it right then. It should be in on the 24th.

I don't mind the wait because I am currently working two jobs and barely have time to sleep much less watch a movie. *sigh*
Old 12-22-2007, 01:24 AM

Although I have done it many times, I am reluctant to buy this one on line. My last two orders from Amazon arrived with the cases damaged. Luckily, the discs were not and I have a stock of replacement cases that I drew from rather than go through the hassle of having Amazon re-ship. Blade Runner comes in an oversized HD-DVD case to accommodate the multiple discs but that type of case is not available as a blank. I am patient and can afford to wait so I will just hold out until copies are available locally. I was just wondering if anyone in this area has seen any HD-DVD copies around here.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dommie View Post
I live in the San Fernando Valley (just north of Los Angeles). Does anyone in this area know where I can find an HD-DVD copy of Blade Runner? There must have been some sort of shipping problem to this area. It seems that there are plenty of HD-DVD copies available in other areas, as noted on this site but not here. I have checked all Frys, Best Buys, Circuit Citys, Borders, etc. I have yet to even see one on a shelf. I have only seen Blu-ray copies. Some stores reported receiving on a handfull of HD-DVD versions, far shot of what they ordered and those were gone a few hours after they were put on the shelves. Other stores report never receiving their HD-DVD order, only their Blu-rays. While I am format neutral, I want this film on HD-DVD because of the reported problems with the Blu-ray version (no work print copy on disc 5).
Not sure if you're still looking, but doing store availability online shows it's available at these stores: Burbank, Glendale, West Hollywood, Pasadena. Now, whether those stores are actually close to you, I have no idea- I'm in Illinois. Good luck. I have to wait for Christmas for mine. I should have just bought the damn thing like I was going to.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&cp=1&id=20605
Old 12-22-2007, 12:11 PM

amazon is your friend. I buy all my media from amazon. Pre orders are the way to go.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefjim View Post
Not sure if you're still looking, but doing store availability online shows it's available at these stores: Burbank, Glendale, West Hollywood, Pasadena. Now, whether those stores are actually close to you, I have no idea- I'm in Illinois. Good luck. I have to wait for Christmas for mine. I should have just bought the damn thing like I was going to.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&cp=1&id=20605
Thanks for the heads up. I checked the Best Buy availability site and it shows both the Woodland Hills and Burbank stores as having the movie. However, I was in the Woodland Hills store yesterday and the Burbank store on Wednesday and they did not have any. Maybe they got a shipment in late yesterday. I'll check today. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:10 PM

I know where all the Blade Runner Ultimate Edition HD DVD ended up. They are sending them to me. I just got my third copy of this brief case set from Warner Home Video, this time from an order that was canceled, and showing canceled on My Express Checkout, from September 7, 2007. They sent this by overnight express UPS Saturday delivery. They sent that along with a duplicated copy of Omega Man, also canceled from this order. Previously they sent a duplicate copy of Blade Runner from an order that didn't even exist on My Express Checkout. I sent that one back on my own dime. I'm considering not doing anything this time. I can't believe the entire mess that they call their online store. They're probably losing a ton of money on useless express shipping and inept order tracking. They should just farm out the entire operation to Amazon!!!
Old 12-22-2007, 04:22 PM

Eureka!!!! Fry's must have received their order last night because when I walked into the store an hour ago they had about a dozen HD-DVD copies on the shelf. Grabbed one and plan on watching it tomorrow night. Can't wait. I would watch tonight but going to a special screening of Atonement, which I hear is great.