Are HD DVD sales numbers skewed due to Importing? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-21-2007, 10:03 AM

Default Are HD DVD sales numbers skewed due to Importing?

Just wondering if importing of HD DVDs makes the numbers for US HD DVD sales look lower than they are, since importing is a viable option for HD DVD buyers but not Blu Ray. That would mean Blu Ray would likely have higher domestic sales as that is really their only outlet where HD DVD adopters have the option of getting elsewhere that may not count in the overall tally.

Any thoughts on this or am I way off base?
Old 12-21-2007, 10:10 AM

I think that importing movies would skew the sales numbers but I don't think its done by enough people to really make a significant difference.
oh and I'm sure someone will point out that not all blu ray movies have region coding so there is some importing going on there as well, probably just not as much.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:11 AM

Importing is an great option for a lot of people. It allows to get our favorite movies, not matter where they are released. You have a point, but honestly, I do not think most HD DVD owners even know that there is no region coding on HD DVD software. It is well known around this forum, but to the average consumer, they are only interested in domestic releases.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantfoot08 View Post
Importing is an great option for a lot of people. It allows to get our favorite movies, not matter where they are released. You have a point, but honestly, I do not think most HD DVD owners even know that there is no region coding on HD DVD software. It is well known around this forum, but to the average consumer, they are only interested in domestic releases.
I will go one further than that and say that most people do not even know what region codes are or that there are different movies available for sale outside of the US.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:29 AM

I guess I was figuring in that although it's not really "early adoption" anymore people getting into HD DVD seem to be more up on these things... I agree, most people with a plain old $30 venturer dvd player are just happy they can get "Jingle All The Way" for $5 and couldn't care less about importing. But I still feel that most HD DVD adopters are more involved in these areas and even if they haven't imported they know it's an option... I sold 3 people on picking up HD-A3s this week because of importing being an option (and a reasonably priced one).

Perhaps one of the operators of an import oriented store could shed some light on the amount of discs they have going out to US based customers...
Old 12-21-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrotorr View Post

Perhaps one of the operators of an import oriented store could shed some light on the amount of discs they have going out to US based customers...
It would be interesting to see the sales numbers. I would imagine some movies would be pretty popular, such as The Prestige.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:34 AM

I've only imported 8 movies out of the 63 (soon to be 64, when I get to the house today) that I own. I don't think it skews numbers at all.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrotorr View Post
Just wondering if importing of HD DVDs makes the numbers for US HD DVD sales look lower than they are, since importing is a viable option for HD DVD buyers but not Blu Ray. That would mean Blu Ray would likely have higher domestic sales as that is really their only outlet where HD DVD adopters have the option of getting elsewhere that may not count in the overall tally.

Any thoughts on this or am I way off base?
You are way off base.

It's the other way round. HD DVD owners from outside America import lots of titles via amazon or dvdpacific, because of the wider selection, lower prices (weak dollar FTW!) and no region encoding.

American HD DVD owners who import are comparatively few, because there are fewer titles they need to import, and because prices are much higher (above $35 per European title).