Recent DVD Observations - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-20-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Recent DVD Observations

I'm wondering if it is just my own perception or if there is something else at work here: lately, the video quality of standard DVDs seems to be much worse than before. The compressed video of DVDs was always noticeable, but acceptable, before the emergence of high def, but it seems to have gotten a lot worse. I have rented some new releases over the last few weeks, and the resolution of some - if not all - has been very poor. Rest assured that I have already ruled out any malfunctioning hardware...

I recently adopted HD DVD and have undoubtedly been impressed with the striking difference in picture quality. Is it just me noticing what I hadn't before? I'm not prone to conspiracy theories, but I can't help but ponder if the studios are deliberately releasing sub-par discs to promote appreciation of the newer formats...

Any thoughts?
Old 12-20-2007, 04:24 PM

The DVD market still dwarfs the HD market. I would be highly surprised if they are lowering the quality of DVDs, if anything they are probably improving since they are being created from HD masters more often than before.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
The DVD market still dwarfs the HD market. I would be highly surprised if they are lowering the quality of DVDs, if anything they are probably improving since they are being created from HD masters more often than before.
I agree, I have the Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds sd-dvd and it looks great!, the HD version def looks much better but its still very good for non HD
Old 12-20-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorick View Post
I'm wondering if it is just my own perception or if there is something else at work here: lately, the video quality of standard DVDs seems to be much worse than before. The compressed video of DVDs was always noticeable, but acceptable, before the emergence of high def, but it seems to have gotten a lot worse. I have rented some new releases over the last few weeks, and the resolution of some - if not all - has been very poor. Rest assured that I have already ruled out any malfunctioning hardware...

I recently adopted HD DVD and have undoubtedly been impressed with the striking difference in picture quality. Is it just me noticing what I hadn't before? I'm not prone to conspiracy theories, but I can't help but ponder if the studios are deliberately releasing sub-par discs to promote appreciation of the newer formats...

Any thoughts?
you know i saw this too and i figured it would be so people see an even BIGGER differend between dvd and the new high def formats
Old 12-20-2007, 04:33 PM

I think your eyes are just getting used to seeing stuff in HD. I know before I got my HD-DVD player I thought DVD's looked great. But now I watch the same DVD and I can definitely tell it is not HD. They look ok, but they just look like something I would be watching on my computer.