Best Buy and HD DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-20-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Best Buy and HD DVD

I was in the Santa Clarita Best Buy store yesterday and was happy to see in the front walk way an aisle of stacked Toshiba HD A3s. There were probably 30 of them stacked about 5 high with a big price tag above that had the "sale" price of $249.99. Best thing was 2 were obviously gone It was nice to see HD DVD get some prominent placement.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:49 PM

It seems every Best Buy is different with thier placement of Blu-ray Vs. HD DVD products. I regularly visit 2 Best Buys in the Boston area.

In terms of software placement, they are pretty even. However, it seems Blu-ray gets more shelf space, even though there are not necesarily more titles available. All the Blu-ray movies are shown with thier cover art showing, therefore taking up more space. The HD DVD software is all placed with the spines showing, taking up much less space. Even funnier, the last section of the Blu-ray software is FULL with Spiderman 3 and Ratatouille. Seems like a lot of space for just 2 titles eh?

In terms of hardware, both stores only have one HD DVD demonstration, while there are anywhere from 3-5 TVs with Blu-ray players under them.

With so many store configurations out there, I am sure each Best Buy organizes its store differently.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantfoot08 View Post
It seems every Best Buy is different with thier placement of Blu-ray Vs. HD DVD products. I regularly visit 2 Best Buys in the Boston area.

In terms of software placement, they are pretty even. However, it seems Blu-ray gets more shelf space, even though there are not necesarily more titles available. All the Blu-ray movies are shown with thier cover art showing, therefore taking up more space. The HD DVD software is all placed with the spines showing, taking up much less space. Even funnier, the last section of the Blu-ray software is FULL with Spiderman 3 and Ratatouille. Seems like a lot of space for just 2 titles eh?

In terms of hardware, both stores only have one HD DVD demonstration, while there are anywhere from 3-5 TVs with Blu-ray players under them.

With so many store configurations out there, I am sure each Best Buy organizes its store differently.
The Best Buy near my home also has a lot more shelf space for Blu-Ray than for HD-DVD. I asked one of the managers why that was the case and he indicated they decided that by the number of future releases for each format and that Blu-Ray had a lot more on schedule for release than HD-DVD.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbun View Post
The Best Buy near my home also has a lot more shelf space for Blu-Ray than for HD-DVD. I asked one of the managers why that was the case and he indicated they decided that by the number of future releases for each format and that Blu-Ray had a lot more on schedule for release than HD-DVD.
same at the store near me, they probably have about 25% more space for blu but when actually looking at whats there they have a lot of the blu cases sideways so you can see the entire cover while its sitting on the shelf and the HD-dvd are packed in there with only the spines showing.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:45 PM

I've noticed that blu get a more spread out approach at most electronics stores near me (dallas/ft worth). My best buy (which I avoid due to over charging of HDM in general) give a bit more shelf space to blu. The other big chain in this area Frys is definitely partial to blu in regards to shelf space and end cap demonstrations. You cant blame em though...the blu players they are pushing are all like $5-700 a unit and these guys work on commission.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantfoot08 View Post
Wow, same exact thing at my Best Buy. Well, some of the HD DVDs have the cover art showing, but it's about 50/50. The Blu-ray section is an extra rack or two long despite an even number of titles. I can't complain, because they have a HUGE selection of all HDM. Too bad the prices are insane.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:26 PM

I just recently moved and had to start visiting new stores and unfortunately the Best Buy that I go to now in Honolulu has a Blu Ray section that is literally lik 2.5 times bigger than HD DVD's however as someone already stated they have the same amount of releases. HD DVD are put on the shel spine sticking out and the Blu Ray films are placed with the artwork facing out. I think that overall this is a significant advantage for Blu Ray and anyone that would look at both diplays would undoubtedly come to the conclusion that Blu Ray was the way to go for HD just based on the shelf space. I wish HD DVD would do something about this even if they had to pay more for shelf space.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:24 AM

Exact same in Chicago (as Boston & Honolulu).

Also notice that the Blu-Ray ad playing on all the TVs is linked to a Best Buy ad on the same media. So there's a partnership there of sorts.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:49 AM

The store I work at has either one section more for blu-ray or they are even. They are both pushed the same as well. We do have a cart on our race track for blu-ray over by home theater, but i believe we have 2 hd dvd displays and either 2 or 3 blu-ray. It changes pretty often. It all depends on who pays us more money for the displays.

A lot of the employees in home theater are split on blu-ray/hd-dvd, maybe favor blu-ray a little bit more. The people who have the players and are into it favor hd dvd more.