stardust review - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 PM
PIHB's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,382
Default stardust review

well since the other thread became closed, i thought i would start one for discussion of this movie.

i was on the fritz of getting it because i only heard bickering about the review and nothing about the movie, so i nutted up and bought it today when i was getting cough medicine.

i thought this movie was incredible. the story was awesome. it was somehting that i watched alone and i thought it was heartwarming. the characters where beleivable. robert dinero had me rolling as the metro pirate. i thought the special effects used in it were top notch. the pq and sound were not the best, but deffinately high defenition. deffinately a movie that i HIGHLY reccomend. i could have the worst day ever, and the spirit of the movie just leaves you in a good mood. the movie kept my attention, which is hard to do, and i reccomend it to anyone who likes Big Fish
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-19-2007, 09:46 PM
RandellG's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIHB View Post
well since the other thread became closed, i thought i would start one for discussion of this movie.

i was on the fritz of getting it because i only heard bickering about the review and nothing about the movie, so i nutted up and bought it today when i was getting cough medicine.

i thought this movie was incredible. the story was awesome. it was somehting that i watched alone and i thought it was heartwarming. the characters where beleivable. robert dinero had me rolling as the metro pirate. i thought the special effects used in it were top notch. the pq and sound were not the best, but deffinately high defenition. deffinately a movie that i HIGHLY reccomend. i could have the worst day ever, and the spirit of the movie just leaves you in a good mood. the movie kept my attention, which is hard to do, and i reccomend it to anyone who likes Big Fish
I to thought the mo was quite good. The PQ IMO should have had a 4 or 4.5. I also like Robert D I almost split a lung laughing at him I was shocked first
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-19-2007, 09:48 PM
twonunpackmule's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 32,843
Default

I hope this doesn't become the alternate route to belittle Josh.

Opinions are like assholes...everyone's got one.
__________________
PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-19-2007, 09:48 PM
PIHB's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,382
Default

i know huh the part where he is
Spoiler
putting the heart on his cheek and dancing
almost killed me. this movie was worth the money. glad i was a big boy and formed my own opinion
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-19-2007, 09:55 PM
RandellG's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIHB View Post
i know huh the part where he is
Spoiler
putting the heart on his cheek and dancing
almost killed me. this movie was worth the money. glad i was a big boy and formed my own opinion
Ya that was good. I will however say that it probably wasn't a good idea to star up a new thread on this, I hadn't read it prior to posting here. I won't state my opinion on the review here though cause Josh and everyone else is entitled to his/her opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-19-2007, 09:56 PM
RandellG's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
I hope this doesn't become the alternate route to belittle Josh.

Opinions are like assholes...everyone's got one.
I love that phrase. It never gets old
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-19-2007, 09:59 PM
PIHB's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
I hope this doesn't become the alternate route to belittle Josh.

Opinions are like assholes...everyone's got one.
not trying to belittle him. its jsut blurry closed the thread because of all the attacks. and since no one was taking about the movie in the review thread, i thought i would make one and talk only about the movie with my opinion of it because thats what i was looking for before i bought it


and Robert's lines where hilarious in it
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-19-2007, 10:13 PM
HomeTheatreFreak's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIHB View Post
well since the other thread became closed, i thought i would start one for discussion of this movie.

i was on the fritz of getting it because i only heard bickering about the review and nothing about the movie, so i nutted up and bought it today when i was getting cough medicine.

i thought this movie was incredible. the story was awesome. it was somehting that i watched alone and i thought it was heartwarming. the characters where beleivable. robert dinero had me rolling as the metro pirate. i thought the special effects used in it were top notch. the pq and sound were not the best, but deffinately high defenition. deffinately a movie that i HIGHLY reccomend. i could have the worst day ever, and the spirit of the movie just leaves you in a good mood. the movie kept my attention, which is hard to do, and i reccomend it to anyone who likes Big Fish
I couldnt agree more. I actually wrote this in the original StarDust thread but it got lost in all the bickering so ill post it up again here since we are just talking about the film and not the review.

As for the film, I loved it. I thought it was one of the most enjoyable fantasy films that I have seen in a long long time especially with the genre so crammed with films aimed at kids like Terabithia, The Seeker, the Golden Compass and of course Narnia. We get Robert Deniro as a gay pirate, Claire Daines as a fallen star, Charlie Cox who really plays a fantastic Tristan Thorn and of course there is the great performance by Mark Strong who plays Septimus and really ends up becoming one of the villains for the better part of the film. Last but not least we have Michelle Pfiffer in her first role in over 5 years and I absolutely loved the playfulness she brought to this role. All in all there were some fantastic performances in this film.

While the Princess Bride comparisons are pretty much unavoidable I do think that alot of people are simply writing this film off as a Princess Bride Rip off and not giving this film nearly enough credit. Again while it doesn't take a genius to see that this film was absolutely influenced by Princess Bride and that is something the director openly admits and considers a good thing, It also does alot of things that Princess Bride didn't and I also think that the actual premise behind this film, ala the whole falling star story, is extremely creative and among other things, really helps to separate it from Princess Bride.

As for the criticism's regarding Robert Deniro's role, all I can say to that is some people simply take films way too seriously and I feel really sorry for people that cant enjoy a performance like this by one of our generations greatest actors. I thought it was a great performance and I also like the underlying theme regarding acceptance of gays, which again is so far from being homophobic that I am mind boggled that someone can even see it this way.

I also saw this in the theatre and it absolutely is a somewhat stylized film and did not have a razor sharp image quality even in the theaters so knowing how this site reviews films it is no surprise to me at all that this is getting somewhat of a low picture quality score and that means absolutely nothing imo as I still base the success of a transfer off of its theatrical presentation and the look that the director and director of photography intended to create and in this aspect I think the film was very successful.

I finally watched the HD DVD last night and I do think that it was a little bit flatter than the theatrical presentation but nothing to excessive. Overall it matched the theatre picture quality very well as this is a soft film and not supposed to be razor sharp to really play up the fantasy feel to it. I think it works great and I have no complaints about the artisti direction of this film at all.

By the way for those that really liked the DeNiro pirate role, Matthew Vaughn is actually thinking about doing a sequel to this film that is based soley on the group of pirates that was in StarDust. There is also a 2nd idea for a sequel and that is that when Tristan dies he throws the necklace out the window like the first film but this time the necklace goes on the other sied of the wall into 1960's england and Tristans kids have to fare the hippy culture London to get the necklace. That one is very wierd but based on how much I liked this one I would take either one. It will be interesting to see which one, if any, gets made. Until then I will without a doubt be enjoying my HD DVD version!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-19-2007, 10:16 PM
HomeTheatreFreak's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randellg View Post
Ya that was good. I will however say that it probably wasn't a good idea to star up a new thread on this, I hadn't read it prior to posting here. I won't state my opinion on the review here though cause Josh and everyone else is entitled to his/her opinion.
I disagree. We should absoutly have a separate thread discussing just the film especially since so many people seemed to enjoy it. Just keep all referencees to the review out of here and it should be fine. Since the review is nothing but 15 pages of bickering anyways it is good to have another thread where people can see what people thought of it without having to sort through all of those pages of bickering.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-19-2007, 10:20 PM
HomeTheatreFreak's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIHB View Post
not trying to belittle him. its jsut blurry closed the thread because of all the attacks. and since no one was taking about the movie in the review thread, i thought i would make one and talk only about the movie with my opinion of it because thats what i was looking for before i bought it


and Robert's lines where hilarious in it
Yeah I am having a really hard time understanding how people didnt like this role. I thought it was the best robert DeNiro role in the past 5- 10 years as he has been in nothing but comedies lately and comedies that I dont consider to be very impressive at all. This role however I thought was fantasic. It was without a doubt one of the best parts of the film both in regards to the story and to the special effects. The whole lighting capturing ship was very cool.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Stardust' - High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 44 02-06-2011 11:47 AM
Stardust HD DVD review... StarkyLuv HD DVD Software General Discussion 3 01-17-2008 01:10 AM
'Stardust' - High-Def Digest review jed HD DVD Software General Discussion 236 12-19-2007 08:48 PM
Another "Stardust" HD DVD Review! Arkadin HD DVD Software General Discussion 3 12-18-2007 12:50 AM
IGN: Stardust HD DVD Review calereneau HD DVD Software General Discussion 4 12-13-2007 10:21 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off