Can someone explain dolby digital plus? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-19-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Can someone explain dolby digital plus?

This format i just dont get. Why do alot of people get pissed when its the only format on the label? isnt supposed to be High Def audio also? and i will be getting my new HD-A3 player tomarrow. will movies that only have it still sound much better through HDMI? i was previously using the 360 add on as it says in my sig so ive only been able to listen to through optical, ill be able to hook up the A3 through HDMI as soon as i get it
Old 12-19-2007, 05:47 PM

Well, Dolby Digital Plus, although it can use higher bitrates and compresses more efficiently than old DD and DTS, it's still lossy encoding and therefore theoretically inferior to lossless encoding. And considering the amount of disc space both HDM formats provide, lossless audio could and maybe should be the norm for all HD titles. So yeah, some people get disgruntled when they're not getting the theoretically best possible sound.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWrathofBambi View Post
This format i just dont get. Why do alot of people get pissed when its the only format on the label? isnt supposed to be High Def audio also? and i will be getting my new HD-A3 player tomarrow. will movies that only have it still sound much better through HDMI? i was previously using the 360 add on as it says in my sig so ive only been able to listen to through optical, ill be able to hook up the A3 through HDMI as soon as i get it
DD+ is definitely hi-rez, however it is a lossy format (DD, DTS, AAC and MP3). However at the 1.5Mbps bitrate provided by Paramount and Universal it is practically indistinguishable from lossless, so you will still get a great experience from it.

However, when going over optical, it is re-encoded in an older codec (either regular DD or DTS) and some degradation will occur (though it will likely still sound very good), so choosing PCM over HDMI will get you the best quality.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:56 PM

I forget... What's the step-up from DD+ called?
Old 12-19-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drammattex View Post
I forget... What's the step-up from DD+ called?
By step up, I assume that you are referring to TrueHD?
Old 12-19-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
By step up, I assume that you are referring to TrueHD?
What about DD+ EX? Or what is the EX for?
Old 12-19-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Dolby EX

EX tracks contain an additional (matrixed) channel of sound. On a supported receiver you can extract the extra channel to turn a 5.1 track into 6.1.

EX tracks don't contain a true (discrete) channel of sound though. It's not really six channels - just manipulated into sounding like a 6th channel. It's kind of like how your center speaker will output sound on a Dolby 2.0 Surround track.

EDIT: has there ever been a Dolby Digital Plus EX track on HD?

EDIT 2: Apparently, the answer is yes. I own only one and that is Hot Fuzz. Don't know of any others....