'BSG: Season One' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-11-2007, 02:01 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'BSG: Season One' - High-Def Digest review

Kenneth's review of 'Battlestar Galactica: Season One' is up. He's a huge fan of this series, and says this HD DVD boasts a solid TrueHD audio track and a healthy collection of supplements. Unfortunately, the video is less impressive, and with widespread reports of damaged packaging and scratched discs, this one's a risk.

Full review here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/682/b...actica_s1.html
Old 12-11-2007, 02:16 PM

Sadly, I was not the only one who thought the video quality was lackluster for the miniseries. I did not notice any video quality issues with that actual episodes though. I still did enjoy watching it without any commercials.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:21 PM

As both an HD DVD and Blu-ray owner this was one of the few HD DVD only releases that I've considered buying in the last six months. When I have a choice I go with Blu because I like the interface better and the protective coating on Blu-ray discs is something I wish was on HD DVD as well. But when I saw how much more this set was going to be then the DVD sets which I'd previously purchased I decided to wait and hear what reviewers had to say about the picture and sound and wether it was worth upgrading. I guess I'm glad I waited. It's really too bad as this series is so good and as I said it was one of the few releases that was going to get me using my HD DVD player more.

-bish
Old 12-11-2007, 02:25 PM

I am a little dissapointed with the PQ rating, I was considering buying this one at one point, looks like a rental for me....
Old 12-11-2007, 02:28 PM

I was dissapointed that this release was not everything it could/should have been. I'm a huge fan of the series, and was hoping to be wowed... Fortunetly there is a blockbuster not far from me that rents HD DVD's, I'll check and see if they happen to have this (perhaps... maybe...).
Old 12-11-2007, 03:30 PM

Guess I'm sticking to the UniversalHD broadcasts for this.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:37 PM

Well, I intentionally held off from buying the DVDs so I could get the HD DVDs, so even with all the problems reported, would those of you who already own this still recommend getting it over the DVD versions? (I am a HUGE fan of the series, btw, so money isn't much of a consideration in this case. But I can't buy it till this Friday due to lack of funds )
Old 12-11-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanthaPoodoo View Post
Well, I intentionally held off from buying the DVDs so I could get the HD DVDs, so even with all the problems reported, would those of you who already own this still recommend getting it over the DVD versions? (I am a HUGE fan of the series, btw, so money isn't much of a consideration in this case. But I can't buy it till this Friday due to lack of funds )
If you don't own the SD DVDs, you should get the HD-DVDs because they ARE sharper, just not as much as one might think for HD.

The only reason you should not do this is if the sound sync issues are universal. There have only been scattered reports, but I'm thinking that not a whole lot of people are watching the second half of the miniseries. I'd really like to hear from people who AREN'T experiencing sound sync issues after 14 mins of disc 2 of the miniseries.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drammattex View Post
If you don't own the SD DVDs, you should get the HD-DVDs because they ARE sharper, just not as much as one might think for HD.

The only reason you should not do this is if the sound sync issues are universal. There have only been scattered reports, but I'm thinking that not a whole lot of people are watching the second half of the miniseries. I'd really like to hear from people who AREN'T experiencing sound sync issues after 14 mins of disc 2 of the miniseries.
Hmmm.... thanks for the info. I guess I'll take a even a marginal improvement. Since it's BSG, it's worth it (to me). Still disappointing though. I guess I'll just take my chances with the other technical issues. Looks like I'll still be picking it up Fri.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:25 PM

I'm glad I didn't buy the set just yet, and the only reason is because xmas is right around the corner...lol Anyhow after reading the review here I will rent first and see if I like what I see.

This is one HD release I was so much looking forward to purchasing. I've never watched Season 1 all the way, after I heard the HD-DVD version was coming I stopped watching it after the mini-series. Very disappointing indeed!