What the Heck is Walmart Backing Blu Ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-25-2007, 08:49 PM

Default What the Heck is Walmart Backing Blu Ray

So I just went into Walmart and on the TV display they played a continuous loop about Blu Ray in the TV section and they were setting up a Blu Ray Display Next to the PS3 games.

I am not happy about this.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:55 PM

You should write your congressman about this injustice.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:59 PM

Walmart backs whomever pays for the shelf space or gives them a pricebreak. I can't see Walmart picking a side until one side is declared the winner.

My guess is Sony or another BDA company is buying advertising space in the store, it's a pretty common practice.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

OMG! Since when was WalMart HD DVD exclusive??? Hope you bought some tissues before you left
Old 11-25-2007, 09:49 PM

Considering that Walmart has HD DVD ads, supports only HD DVD stand-alone players, and may be responsible for the format gaining market share, I wouldn't worry about them too much.

Best Buy on the other hand... sheesh. They have big displays of Blu-Ray and it's hard to find their HD DVD discs in some stores.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jough View Post
Considering that Walmart has HD DVD ads, supports only HD DVD stand-alone players, and may be responsible for the format gaining market share, I wouldn't worry about them too much.

Best Buy on the other hand... sheesh. They have big displays of Blu-Ray and it's hard to find their HD DVD discs in some stores.
My walmart has blu-ray players... and they have an equal number of movies for both formats. I'd honestly say that both of my local walmarts are more neutral then anything.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:54 PM

Ask yourselg this..... when Wal-Mart had their secrect sale a couple of weeks back, did they have Blu-Ray players for $98? No, they didn't. They had HD players. Now I find it only fair that they do something for Blu to.

I don't see why people complain about who supports who, it's stupid just like the "war".
Old 11-26-2007, 07:45 AM

lol get used to it man. Every time I go into a shop or a online shop they're all advertising Blu Ray. It's Sony! They own alot of things, are owed alot of things and have a lot of money. Evil Mega Corporation!
Old 11-26-2007, 09:13 AM

My local Wal-Mart rotates HD DVD in the day and BD in the night, I think. I've seen the "Red Pill" ad running on an A2 that's high up on a shelf, but I don't know what they're running the BD stuff on... maybe a Philips player?

They also demo movies, like "Transformers", when it came out. They did the same for "Fantastic Four".
Old 11-26-2007, 09:15 AM

The problem is showing Blu Ray to people in Walmart is hitting Joe Six Pack right in the ass. They will think its the only option. DVD really took off when Walmart was started to Carry DVD.