Serpico HD DVD, just ordered - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-25-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Serpico HD DVD, just ordered

This is one of my favorite movies and with everyone having such great luck with importing HD DVD's, I decided to give it a shot and ordered it.

I just hope the picture quality is good. I have not ever seen any review or thoughts on this one. Just taking a chance. Anyone know if this came out good in Hi Def?

Now, if only someone would release "The Panic in Needle Park" on HD DVD I would be in heaven!!
Old 11-25-2007, 06:14 PM

I have the French import and it's pretty good. Kind of grainy but that's expected since it's an older movie.

The forced subtitles aren't that bad either since you can shrink them down to almost nothing at the very bottom.

I took some video of it in action, only thing I have to do is put it up on YouTube.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
I have the French import and it's pretty good. Kind of grainy but that's expected since it's an older movie.

The forced subtitles aren't that bad either since you can shrink them down to almost nothing at the very bottom.

I took some video of it in action, only thing I have to do is put it up on YouTube.
Here you go.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nz6DFskEz34

I set the audio to English and played around with the resizeable forced subtitles.

Of course you can't see any of the added detail of HD but it's definitely better than the DVD version that's out right now.

- edit Excuse my dog barking at the beginning and my voice. I have a cold right now.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:05 PM

Yeah I ordered this along with "The Graduate". I agree with Sporadic--It's pretty good, but the forced French subs are annoying even after moving them as low as they can go. I'm ready for a "regular" US release. "The Graduate", on the other hand, looks really nice, and does not have the forced subs.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:52 PM

So Serpico isn't exactly Demo material? lol

Is it still a nice upgrade in picture quality though?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:55 PM

yeah I compared it directly with the sd dvd, and it is definitely an upgrade. I just wish it was a little better. Just keep expectations low and you'll be ok.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Yeah I ordered this along with "The Graduate". I agree with Sporadic--It's pretty good, but the forced French subs are annoying even after moving them as low as they can go. I'm ready for a "regular" US release. "The Graduate", on the other hand, looks really nice, and does not have the forced subs.
Where did you order The Graduate from?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:56 PM

Xploited. I ordered them together right after they came out. very happy when I got them. they are definitely worth getting. "The Graduate" for sure.

btw: if you use the SEARCH box you can read my "amazing" mini-reviews of "Serpico" and "The Graduate" that I posted on here.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Xploited. I ordered them together right after they came out. very happy when I got them. they are definitely worth getting. "The Graduate" for sure.

btw: if you use the SEARCH box you can read my "amazing" mini-reviews of "Serpico" and "The Graduate" that I posted on here.
I listened to your video review...Thanks, it explained everything.
After watching Serpico, the grain and pic noise in the beginning was severe. AFter that however, it settled into a good HD DVD movie as for picture quality. It isnt totally consistent with the picture. Some scenes look gorgeous, while others are rather soft. But, overall, I would give Serpico Import a 3.5 for picture quality. It is def the best version available and am glad I got it. Actually thrilled I got it!!

I also cannot say enough good things about importing movies. Service is terrific. Tony offers such great communication and delivery is FAST!
Old 11-28-2007, 04:32 PM

little confused as I don't have a "video" review to "listen" to.
hopefully somebody isn't pretending to be me.
anyway, yeah the service is really fast. I am about to make a new order.