Bad luck with Planet Earth... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-24-2007, 03:19 AM

Default Bad luck with Planet Earth...

Alright, I think I've encountered one of the worst batches of Planet Earth HD DVD's on the market, unless this problem is widespread. Thursday night, my mom got me Planet Earth from Wal-Mart for my birthday, even though I told her to put it under the tree for Christmas. But she insisted that it be part of my birthday (Nov. 26). So I opened it and Disc 1 was loose, plus scratched. The flip mechanism was not even in place, so one of the other discs was loose as well and scratched. So this morning we returned it for a new one. We asked the lady if we could open it in the store to make sure the stuff was in place and she let us. So we opened it and the discs were all in place with flip mechanism in place. Then we get going down the road and I start examining the discs. Disc 1 had a ring around the center portion that was a HUGE scratch. Looked like someone knifed it. The other 3 discs looked how the're supposed to: flawless. Disc 1 looks unplayable to me, but I am home from college on Thanksgiving vacation and since I flew home, I will not have access to my HD DVD player until Sunday/Monday. I'll probably return it again tomorrow, perhaps at a different Wal-Mart since the second one I got was the last one on the rack at that Wal-Mart.

Anyone else run into this problem so far on Planet Earth or any other titles?
Old 11-24-2007, 05:06 AM

When I got my copy in the mail from Amazon UK, disc 1 was also floating around loose in the packaging, but luckily there was no damage and the disc plays just fine. In my experience, this kind of thing tends to happen more often, especially box sets are vulnerable to this.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil N View Post
When I got my copy in the mail from Amazon UK, disc 1 was also floating around loose in the packaging, but luckily there was no damage and the disc plays just fine. In my experience, this kind of thing tends to happen more often, especially box sets are vulnerable to this.
To be honest, I'm more disappointed by the replacement one. I mean damn, the thing looks like it'll play and then completely choke when it gets to that part of the disc. I don't even own DVD's that look like that even after years of handling and playing them. It's almost like the laser just went haywire and decided to carve a nice circle in the middle of the disc.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:32 AM

"problem is widespread"

Thats an understatement & a half. Why do think this is the #1 selling box set? Exchanges. I bet BBC has more replacement discs sitting on their table than actual discs in stores. LOL
Old 11-24-2007, 03:47 PM

mine came out perfectly...no scratches or loose discs. PE is really an awesome HD Disc. I'm not even much for nature documentaries and I was just blown away and sucked in. I hope you get a better batch. I got mine from Amazon.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:49 PM

Here's an update on my dilemma. I'm definitely taking it back and exchanging it yet again. It made it 1 hour, 40 minutes into the playback and started pixelating, which then led to a freeze-up. I then skipped forward and it did the same thing at 1 hour, 50 minutes. This was with around 40-50 minutes still left in the disc. So my question was answered. The huge scratch ring on the disc did indeed make it unplayable.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:29 PM

Well, I did my second return earlier tonight. This time, they checked each disc with me to make sure they looked clean with no scratches, so I should be good to go.