Surround sound for Star Trek: TOS? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-24-2007, 12:52 AM

Default Surround sound for Star Trek: TOS?

From my understanding, Star Trek: TOS has TrueHD Surround 5.1. I have a Pioneer Elite that is TrueHD as well as having a 5.1 surround sound speaker system.

However, for some reason, I am not experiencing surround sound when I started playing "Where No Man has Gone Before". I understand sometimes you will not hear anything in the back speakers. But aren't you supposed to always hear sound coming out of the center speaker? I only hear sound coming out of my right and left speakers.

I know the surround sound is working in general, and it's not my Toshiba HD-A35 player as I just watched Transformers about a week ago and it sounded great.

Is what I am hearing for the show normal? Am I supposed to not hear surround sound? I figured I am supposed to as it is labeled as TrueHD 5.1 surround sound.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:17 AM

Hmm, ok, I had read this in the Home Theater review: "In listening to the episodes, you can certainly tell that this was originally a mono mix to begin with since most of the show is presented across the front soundstage and collapsed to the middle." I did not know since it was originally recorded in mono, that you would not get surround sound support (shows how much I know about recording, I guess. ).

I knew your back speakers are usually only used for background sounds, but I figured the front three speakers (including the center speaker) would always have vocal (like in Transformers). But only the front two main speakers (left and right) were having vocal in "Where No Man Has Gone Before".

Ok, sorry about the post, I guess I found my answer in the review.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:08 PM

The show's original mono audio has been remixed into 5.1 for the TrueHD track, but the mixers have largely stayed true to the original sound design. Surround usage is very sporadic.

That said, you should hear the Enterprise whoosh from the front speakers to the back during the opening credits. If you aren't getting that effect, there is something configured incorrectly in your hardware.

If you're not hearing anything from the center speaker (which is where all dialogue should be coming from), it sounds like your equipment is processing the soundtrack as straight 2.0, literally just directing sounds to the left and right speakers.

First off, are you sure you're selecting the TrueHD track in the disc's menus? The DD+ track is just 2.0.

If that's not it, let us know which player you're using, how you have it connected for audio, and what your audio settings are in the player.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:31 PM

Red face

I can cofirm with Josh that most dialogue on WNMHGB is in the center on the Dolby TrueHD Track on my A2. You should get some nice surround info on "The Barrier" scene. Loving this set so far BTW!!
Old 11-24-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The show's original mono audio has been remixed into 5.1 for the TrueHD track, but the mixers have largely stayed true to the original sound design. Surround usage is very sporadic.

That said, you should hear the Enterprise whoosh from the front speakers to the back during the opening credits. If you aren't getting that effect, there is something configured incorrectly in your hardware.

If you're not hearing anything from the center speaker (which is where all dialogue should be coming from), it sounds like your equipment is processing the soundtrack as straight 2.0, literally just directing sounds to the left and right speakers.

First off, are you sure you're selecting the TrueHD track in the disc's menus? The DD+ track is just 2.0.

If that's not it, let us know which player you're using, how you have it connected for audio, and what your audio settings are in the player.
Ok, it seems to be working now. I must have had it on DD+. Although I thought I did put it on TrueHD and was not still getting dialogue through my center speaker. Must be because it was almost midnight last night when I tried it and probably was a bit tired.

Either way, like I said, it seems to be working right now. Oh, since you asked, my receiver is a Pioneer Elite VSX-91TXH.

Thanks for your help.