'Babel' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-02-2007, 12:19 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'Babel' - High-Def Digest Review

It may not come out until February 20, but Paramount was nice enough to send us an advance copy of 'Babel' on HD DVD, and Peter's review is now up. Despite some trepidation going in, Peter quite liked the film itself, and gives both the video and audio their props with 4 (out of five) stars apiece. Alas, with a trailer as the only included extra, seems like the studio is prepping this one for a double dip sometime soon, so buyer beware.

Full review here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/babel.html
Old 02-02-2007, 02:47 PM

Great! Thanks to Paramount for getting this to you guys so quickly, and thanks to Peter for another very well written review. The only point I would contend in the review is "Pitt and Blanchett -- likely the only names familiar to American audiences". OK, he did say "likely", but hopefully we "American audiences" will get more credit next time. One of the reasons I've been eagerly awaiting this release is because it also stars one of my favorite actors - Gael García Bernal - a Mexican actor who has starred in films including Y tu mamá también, Motorcycle Diaries and Bad Education. And I'm a big fan of the Mexican Director Alejandro Iñárritu, who has also directed the brilliant film Amores Perros (Love is a Bitch) and 21 grams. I'm not usually a big fan of Mexican cinema, but Bernal is an exceptionally talented actor, and they have produced some great films lately.

As I saw Babel in the cinema I wondered how it's almost "documentary style" (which Peter better describes as "grainy, battered, rough-looking" would benefit from HD DVD. Peter's review convinced me it does. The lack of any supplements except for a trailer doesn't bother me nearly as much as the price - $27.95 at Amazon. It's not a combo; I wonder why such the high price? I'm going to wait awhile and see if I find a more "happy price" before deciding to buy or Netflix.

Last edited by Cochise; 02-02-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:15 PM

That's a strong review and it sounds like an interesting film. I was planning on getting it anyways, but this spurs me to put my order in right now.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:35 PM

Cochise, surely you realize you are in the minority as far as knowing who those guys are.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:46 PM

I was going to get this on it's release date, however I am going to wait a bit. I am going to rent the regular DVD and see if it is has much replay value. It sounds great though. Who knows, I might change my mind, guess I'll wait and see.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
Cochise, surely you realize you are in the minority as far as knowing who those guys are.
Well, I guess Peter was right, then.

I kinda consider myself as a typical middle-aged, middle-class Anglo American as opposed to the "artsy-fartsy" type. But I supposed I do have an above average appreciation of foreign language films. I've lived overseas quite a bit working in the hotel biz. If you haven't heard of Gael Garcia Bernal you might try renting some of the movies I mentioned.

Looking forward to Babel!
Old 02-03-2007, 03:02 PM

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it too - if only the reviewer didn't have me scared for a double dip! I'll hold out till the fall and see.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:17 PM

I just recieved my copy of Babel - I guess, that it is not just you guys a Highdef Digest, who got this movie early. Sadly i don't have time to watch it before sometime next week
Old 02-09-2007, 12:25 AM

Also recieved my copy early, not bad considering I am from Europe importing from the US

As everybody probably already knows, this is not something to show of your system with but it is a very good representation of how the movie is supposed to look. That's all I need, nice to see some new and different movies being released.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:15 PM

Has anyone had problems with the subtitles on this film? I finally got around to watching it today, and noticed that sometimes the subtitles flash quickly on screen, so that I can't even read them.