my "star trek: tos" s1 review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-23-2007, 01:43 PM

Default my "star trek: tos" s1 review

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...son_one_hd.htm

there are comparison shots of the previous sd dvd box set and the hd dvd/sd dvd combo box set. these include video and packaging comparisons.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:54 PM

The editor of the site, Gary Toose, seems not to share your opinion (see the note at the end of the review)...
Old 11-23-2007, 02:17 PM

yes, i'm aware of gary's opinion.

however, read his paragraph again. he acknowledges that the video is hit or miss, and he's only watched about half of the set so far.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:57 PM

good review. just noticed this. keep up the good work!
Old 11-23-2007, 07:13 PM

thanks for your encouragement!
Old 11-23-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posters5 View Post
yes, i'm aware of gary's opinion.

however, read his paragraph again. he acknowledges that the video is hit or miss, and he's only watched about half of the set so far.
I read it already and the fact he took the time to add such "disclaimer", even jokingly telling that maybe you "had too much Saurian Brandy", speaks volumes of the fact that he has a very different opinion than yours.

So you say:

"My conclusion may surprise you--this is NOT a must-buy, even if you like Star Trek."

He says:

"It's my opinion that if you have HD - or only SD at present - and are a Trek fan - then this makes a monumental addition to your DVD library. - Gary Tooze"

I don't really think the two of you can be any more different when it come to make the final judgment. I am also aware that you do not like the HD DVD TOS set that much as you wrote in a previous thread some days ago (see post from 21 on).

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/show...t=26455&page=2

Your review just underlines again the points you made on that thread: from other reviews I have seen on the net I tend to side with Mr. Toose and not with you and I am planning to purchase the HD DVD set (and yes I already own the first 3 TOS season in SD DVD).

Just my two cents of course, you are absolutely entitled to your own opinion...

Last edited by Kimba1970; 11-23-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:19 PM

you're making a big deal out of nothing. gary has more than 200 hd dvds and blu-ray discs. as you can see from my signature, i have only 18 movies and one tv box set. i'm not as keen on collecting as gary is, which colors my "buy/don't buy" recommendations.

nevertheless, look at what i wrote. i deemed the box set "not a must-buy"--meaning you shouldn't feel the need to rush to buy it. buy it eventually, yes, but it's nothing that anyone has to have right away.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posters5 View Post
you're making a big deal out of nothing. gary has more than 200 hd dvds and blu-ray discs. as you can see from my signature, i have only 18 movies and one tv box set. i'm not as keen on collecting as gary is, which colors my "buy/don't buy" recommendations.

nevertheless, look at what i wrote. i deemed the box set "not a must-buy"--meaning you shouldn't feel the need to rush to buy it. buy it eventually, yes, but it's nothing that anyone has to have right away.
Again I am not making any "big deal" , I have just pointed out that even within the site that hosted your own review people has a very different approach than yours..

And I really don't get your point about the number of HD DVD you own: since Mr. Toose has more discs than you he is ... what? too easy on the purchasing? So your opinion is more valid because you buy less ... and so with better judgment? Sorry, I really find this specific argument quite weak...
Old 11-24-2007, 12:14 PM

Wink I guess if you own a lot of titles that makes you an expert?

That review was terrible. I am watching the episodes now on a 720P Projector and am simply Blown-Away.

What Gene Roddenberry's sexist attitude has to do with this set is completely irrelevant. But to speak to your point, Mentioned in the xtras Sally Kellerman's character is an early example of a strong female character on tv in the 60's. And this was the pilot!!!

I purchased all the VHS Tapes when they came out in the 80's because they were complete, un-cut and a huge improvement over what they had been showing on Broadcast TV. They were $14.99ea for One Episode.

Then I purchased the two-episode DVD's when they came out again, huge improvement over VHS, Cable TV and now with 5.1 sound (My Sub Loved "Balance of Terror") they were $19.99 ea.

I skipped the next box set because no significant improvement over previous release, just marketing fluff.

Now I just paid $106 at Deep Discount DVD for this 10 Disc Set, and so far all I can say is WOW!! Am I going to use this as a Demo Disc in my 15K Home Theatre "OF Course Not!" That's What "Planet Earth" and "The Matrix" are for.

Obviously I am a Big Fan of TOS but I do have the common sense of being somewhat subjective. My Recommendation is if you Love the TOS and like what they have done with the new effects and can notice an improvement on Broadcast TV, then shop around you won't be dissapointed. If not, then there is SD set with "Old" effects, picture and sound in the $50 price range.

The first season of ST TOS is where it ALL started kids, It's not about the Extras, although so far The WNMHGB Starfleet Access is dead freakin' cool.
Sally"Hot Lips" Kellerman and Gary "2001" Lockwood make appearences.

These of course are my opinions, I am not a reviewer but I would like to see a review of this that is least "Logical".
Old 11-24-2007, 12:44 PM

kimba1970:

i didn't claim that my opinion or gary's is better; i was explaining why he and i have different "buy/don't buy" recommendations on a lot of movies.

of course gary and i have different opinions; we are two different people. do you really think that jed, peter, ken, and josh here at HDD agree on the merits of EVERY hd dvd and blu-ray disc?