DVDTALK: MASSIVE "Star Trek" HD DVD Review!!! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-20-2007, 06:43 PM

Default DVDTALK: MASSIVE "Star Trek" HD DVD Review!!!

WOW!!!!!! This one's a whopper!

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/review.php?id=31459
Old 11-20-2007, 06:52 PM
O_o

Great review, the set looks amazing. I am kinda interested. Can anyone explain the storyline and whether it's a finale type season or part of more seasons? I just don't want to get hooked on buying 20 seasons worth of Star Trek.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

Not into Star Trek but cool.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geonosis View Post
Great review, the set looks amazing. I am kinda interested. Can anyone explain the storyline and whether it's a finale type season or part of more seasons? I just don't want to get hooked on buying 20 seasons worth of Star Trek.
There's only 3 seasons and 79 episodes of the Orginal Series, so it's not too bad. IMO, none of the spinoffs really compare to the orginal.

That was an amazing review... I really want this set now.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:07 PM

I'd be pretty hesitant to recommend the original series to someone who didn't really grow up with it. I would rent first for sure if I was unfamiliar with it. The episodes are very self-contained Geo and the first season is the best in most people's opinion. The other season's are more uneven.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geonosis View Post
"Space the final frontier.... To boldly go where no man has gone before"

TOS (the orginal series) was 3 seasons. This is season 1 with season 2 coming out next year.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:11 PM

Wonder how things went in NYC, where they were giving away free A3 players to the first couple hundred who bought this set.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:34 PM

I want this badly but I just don't think it's worth the money, considering the ultra-shitty packaging. Is it too much to ask on a 100$+ set to get a package that doesn't break from just looking at it? I mean, christ, just like the last DVD release the plastic disc holders are held together by TAPE. [email protected] CLOWNSHOES! I would have picked it up today if it were simply packaged in standard HDDVD jewel cases.

By the way, what is this going for in brick-and-mortar Best Buy and Circuit City?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:42 PM

das Monkey has always written terrific DVD reviews, and DVDTalk is fortunate to have him moving into High Definition coverage as well.

That said, in the video portion of the article he has missed some quite serious posterization and blocking artifacts in a number of episodes.

If anyone has the set, check out the doors in the background of 'The Naked Time' between 40-42 minutes into the episode.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:22 PM

look at janice rand's face in "balance of terror". her face sometimes looks like what happens when you watch the videotape in "the ring".