Will these movies be available in HD DVD?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-31-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Will these movies be available in HD DVD??

3 movies i would love to see on hd dvd are hero, crouching tiger/hidden dragon and house of flying daggers. all are originally chinese movies, brought to america by sony pictures, and thus are blu ray exclusives in the US. crouching tiger is slated for blu ray release soon, HoFD is already out, and i believe Hero is on the way.

my question is this, becuase all these movies were originally released in china, does anybody know if the original chinese studio or distribution label will be releasing these movies on hd dvd in china(so i can then import the chinese hd dvd version) ?

also, whats the deal with gladiator, heat and titanic. i saw heat listed on amazon under future hd dvd's but no date given. i would love to add all these movies to my library.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelplayer View Post
3 movies i would love to see on hd dvd are hero, crouching tiger/hidden dragon and house of flying daggers. all are originally chinese movies, brought to america by sony pictures, and thus are blu ray exclusives in the US. crouching tiger is slated for blu ray release soon, HoFD is already out, and i believe Hero is on the way.

my question is this, becuase all these movies were originally released in china, does anybody know if the original chinese studio or distribution label will be releasing these movies on hd dvd in china(so i can then import the chinese hd dvd version) ?

also, whats the deal with gladiator, heat and titanic. i saw heat listed on amazon under future hd dvd's but no date given. i would love to add all these movies to my library.
There is a good chance that those three Chinese movies will be released someplace in the world on HD DVD at some point, don't know when though.

Gladiator should be a US HD DVD excluisive whenever it comes out. Titanic should also come to HD DVD at some point since it is Paramount. Heat, as you say is already listed without a date.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:10 PM

thanks, im new to hd dvd, and ive been doin some research the past few days. for some reason, i see a ton of hd dvd imports available from japan, france and the uk of movies that id love to see, but none from china. am i just not looking hard enough, or has china not gone to hd dvd or blu ray yet? i know i read that they were looking to implement their own next gen dvd technology, maybe thats why?
Old 01-31-2007, 03:30 PM
Founding Member

i think all three titles would be BD exclusives...

HoFD looks like absolute crud on blu-ray though...
Old 01-31-2007, 03:32 PM

Just purchase Fearless and forget about the rest of them.....I found Fearless to be quite more enjoyable then the films you mentioned.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
thanks, im new to hd dvd, and ive been doin some research the past few days. for some reason, i see a ton of hd dvd imports available from japan, france and the uk of movies that id love to see, but none from china. am i just not looking hard enough, or has china not gone to hd dvd or blu ray yet? i know i read that they were looking to implement their own next gen dvd technology, maybe thats why?
The HD DVD worldwide market is still maturing, only major consumer markets are currently producing them, such as Japan, The US and Europe. However, IMO it is almost certain that HD DVD will gain momentum in most of the globe for a number of reasons, cheaper production of discs and region free coding which is very popular in most parts of the world which don't have as huge of a film industry as does the US.

It may take a while to go to other parts of the world, but you will be seeing HD DVD production starting up everywhere at some point.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Just purchase Fearless and forget about the rest of them.....I found Fearless to be quite more enjoyable then the films you mentioned.
unfortunately i dont share the same sentiment. i found fearless to be nowhere near as good as the other 3 i listed.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
unfortunately i dont share the same sentiment. i found fearless to be nowhere near as good as the other 3 i listed.
I love all 4 and would also like to know if they are available for import?.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Following the theme above, I'm very much looking forward to Curse of the Golden Flower on HD, but I think that will be on BD only.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:58 AM

actually no.. Titanic is Paramount and 20th century fox.. I think 20th has a bigger share of distribution with titanic in the usa. Therefore it will probably just be blu ray..