Another "Star Trek:TOS" Review: the Complaints Begin! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-16-2007, 10:49 PM

Default Another "Star Trek:TOS" Review: the Complaints Begin!

Sounds like the reviewers are beginning to complain a little about this release now. This review from IGN complains about visible artifacts in some of the "new" special effects shots, and actually seems to think that the actual dicss themselves do not look as good as the hd broadcasts.
now that's hard to believe. Also, not surpisingly maybe, Bill Hunt offers his own initial impressions over at "The bits" and it seems that he is a bit underwhelmed also. He, of course, suggests the Blu-Ray version would have looked better.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/835/835950p1.html

btw: Over at www.trekweb.com the reviewer apparently doesn't have an HD DVD player, so he just reviews the sd version. He says it looks amazing, so that's good news!
Old 11-16-2007, 11:06 PM

Um, where does this fool think they got the source for the HD broadcasts? From up their butts? Idiot.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:08 PM

I think he might be talking about the XBox downloads maybe. with the 16x9 aspect ratio for the effects shots. that's all i can figure. I still think they should have framed everything maybe 1.66:1. That's the one thing I don't like. Since they made changes anyway, why not make the release fill the whole screen for widescreen tvs.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:52 PM

I agree, I was really upset to hear that they'd still be in 4:3. Did I hear right, the Japanese version of this set IS 16X9?
Old 11-17-2007, 03:52 AM

Yes it is the problems is, we don't know yet if they just cropped and blown the 1.33 live action shots, or if they went back and scanned the whole negative area (meaning more left and right information and minimal up and down loss). There's a comparison on one of the ST sites, but it's with a TV broadcast in 16/9 in Japan and it looks cropped with even left and right loss which doesn't make any sense. I'll wait for the actual DVDs.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:57 AM

Oh well, it's still Star Trek in High Definition. I can't wait for the Ultimate Star Trek Collection.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:09 PM

The few episodes that were made availabe via XBox Live had two ratios: academy 4:3 for the original footage which would jump to (and back from) 16:9 for the new CGI space shots. I didn't think it would work, but it did.

I'm guessing that's the approach that will be used on the Japanese edition, though I wish they would have done that here in the U.S. too. The widescreen CGI shots were great.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:57 PM

The review says that the sets don't look as good as the HD broadcasts, and yet provides no elaboration (obviously did no A-B comparisons). Finally concludes with:

Quote:
That said, however, the episodes have never looked this good and this clear
giving it 8/10, which, to me, is pretty good for a 40 year old series.

Anyway, IGN is a gaming site, and it showed with most of the review emphasis on the CGI effects (which probably account for maybe 5% of the video)
Old 11-17-2007, 04:24 PM

I saw it in the theatre and man it was fantastic! It was still 4x3. I dont think they wanted to mess with that, gotta keep it as origional as possible, don't want to mess with something that is as sacred as ST TOS!
Old 11-17-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefBear View Post
The few episodes that were made availabe via XBox Live had two ratios: academy 4:3 for the original footage which would jump to (and back from) 16:9 for the new CGI space shots. I didn't think it would work, but it did.

I'm guessing that's the approach that will be used on the Japanese edition, though I wish they would have done that here in the U.S. too. The widescreen CGI shots were great.
There are 3 separate transfers for "Star Trek Remastered".

1) All 4:3. This is the version on the American HD DVDs.
2) Live action footage 4:3, new FX footage 16:9. This is the version available on XBox Live.
3) All 16:9. This is how the Japanese HD DVDs will be presented.

Version #3 has all of the live action footage "tilt & scanned". It's cropped on the top and bottom, with some artificial tilts applied when important information appears at the very top or very bottom.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.