Anybody know anything about "Ultimate Force"? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-14-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Anybody know anything about "Ultimate Force"?

What's up with this release? Sorry, never heard of it. Anybody know anything or get this?
Old 11-15-2007, 01:47 PM

I posted this on AVS Forum, but I'll spare you the trouble.

I got this from Amazon for ~$12. I knew nothing about the movie or the releasing studio, so I was curious as to what this would be like. The packaging is a red HD DVD case similar to what all the majors use, except it seems flimsier. The HD DVD logo came right off with the security sticker. The package indicated that the movie was in 1080i Anamorphic 1.85 ratio with DD stereo sound, so I knew right away that someone wasn't too clear on HD DVD specs.

The movie does not have a setup menu of any kind. It has Play, Chapters, and Extras. The menu can't be accessed seemlessly during the movie, so I think this uses legacy menu system rather than advanced HDi menus. The movie is encoded in MPEG-2 and my XA1 indicated DD+ stereo for the audio. The picture is a mixed bag with some very soft, DVD quality shots, and some better HD quality moments. I could not tell whether this was truly encoded in 1080i or 1080p. I did not see any obvious combing artifacts to indicate mis-flagging.

I saw this last night despite my pile of dozens of unwatched HDM, more so out of curiosity than anything else. The best way in which I can describe this is that it's a HDM version of one of those "I've never heard of this" double features on SL DVD that you see in the $5 bargain bins. The movie which is apparently Croatian/American co-production is all over the map.

I had very difficult time following any storyline to speak of. Mirko stars as an agent of SIN, pseudo-government agency. He is assigned to assassinate an Indian leader. When he spares a woman (? leader's wife), he is brought in for re-programming. They drop him on an island gulag, where without any reason, he has to fight and kill series of formidable opponents. There's double cross involved and if you followed it so far, you'll probably make it to the end.

The fights are very UFC like with very little choreography. Don't expect over the top HK martial arts flick or gun-fu. Most the picture is DVD quality or worse, and shot in the dark. There are glimpses of high definition here and there, but for the most part, expect the worst. Bad as video is, audio is even worse. The audio is English in Dolby stereo and sounds like one of your home movies with music and soundtrack mixed in. The dialog is difficult enough to understand without the heavy Eastern European accent, but wavering volume levels and ambient noises make it near impossible. There is no subtitles of any kind to help you out.

In conclusion, this is a disc for only real fans of Mirko "Cro-Cop" Filipovic or a masochist that must own anything out on HDM. I can't recommend it even at Amazon price of $12. I hope BCI can correct some of their shortcomings for their future releases. They are supposedly releasing a Bob Hope double feature in next couple of months, Road to Rio/Road to Bali. I'm hoping for little TLC with that release.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:49 PM

wow! Sounds absolutely horrendous. Thanks for helping me to know to avoid this like the plague!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:20 PM

LOL, my copy just came in the mail today... I had the same experience as far as the HD DVD logo coming right off the case when I removed the security sticker.

I have not had a chance to watch it, but am expecting it to be along the lines of District B-13.... We shall see.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:27 PM

got this for 8.83 from deep discount with the coupon. not expecting much but for 8 bucks I had to have my curiosity sated.

maybe i'll just cut the sticker though since I kind of want my hd dvd logo
Old 11-16-2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinime View Post
LOL, my copy just came in the mail today... I had the same experience as far as the HD DVD logo coming right off the case when I removed the security sticker.

I have not had a chance to watch it, but am expecting it to be along the lines of District B-13.... We shall see.
You'll be sorely disappointed. District B-13 was Oscar, blockbuster, Golden Globes worthy by comparison.