'The Wicker Man' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-30-2007, 01:23 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'The Wicker Man' - High-Def Digest Review

Peter's review of 'The Wicker Man' on HD DVD is up. He found the movie itself to be an unintentional campfest and a total misfire for noted writer/director Neil LaBute. As an HD DVD release, however, this one boasts decent enough audio/video, earning 4 stars (out of five) in both categories. Bonus for HD DVD fans: the HD DVD includes a Dolby TrueHD track, while the concurrently released Blu-ray does not.

Full review here:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/wickerman2006.html
Old 01-30-2007, 01:36 PM

Such a shame of a movie... I was such a huge fan of the original, and enjoyed LaBute's previous work (Nurse Betty was a great movie!), but when I saw this in theatres, the most fun I had was spotting all the sly references to the original.

So this now begs the question, when are we going to see the original on HD-DVD?
Old 01-30-2007, 09:01 PM

Well, it was a well-written review, but sorry I disagree yet again with Mr. Bracke's horror film reviews. I am a HUGE fan of the original '73 classic, but call me crazy (and no doubt you may) but, I liked this movie! I didn't this it was crappy, but I can certainly see if you have no connection with the original and absolutely no real yearning or understanding of a 'Wicker Man' flick then you'll think it is utterly a stupid film.

On the other hand....I think that if you enjoyed the original you'll dig this one and, pointed fact: when is it a crime to laugh at a movie and have a good time? Sorry, I don't get it. I have ordered this one all ready and will be receiving it in the next few days. Glad he said it's a good transfer though and I look forward to hearing the commentary. My two cents
Old 01-30-2007, 09:18 PM

I saw the original and I remember how much it gave me the creeps back when I saw it. I saw this new one in the theatre and I don't think it captured the horror of the original, but I still like it. I have already ordered the HD DVD and it is on the way.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
I saw the original and I remember how much it gave me the creeps back when I saw it. I saw this new one in the theatre and I don't think it captured the horror of the original, but I still like it. I have already ordered the HD DVD and it is on the way.
*Spoiler Alert!*
I missed the music, Christopher Lee, Edward Woodward, Britt Ekland , the 1970's, and the religous overtones in it, but Cage's performance is on par with his in "8mm" where he played the clueless & disgusted outsider entering this world of paganism and women power or whatever. Ellen Burstyn wasn't quite in it enough to really be a decent villainess, either.

Dig those freaky animal masks though, and I did like the twist of an all-female society where men are subservient.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:53 PM

Aside from all the plot holes it wasn't bad... I never saw the original so I would probably like that better.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurry View Post
I have the original on DVD - Christopher Lee in bad drag! Watched this one last night. I thought it was pretty good, but then I like cheesy horror movies. PQ was pristine, story not as bad as I was led to believe. Entertaining.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:20 PM

Is this indeed a combo...?
I've seen 2 covers out there and people have said it's not now.

thanks!
Old 02-01-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post
Is this indeed a combo...?
I've seen 2 covers out there and people have said it's not now.

thanks!
I just got mine in the mail today. Definitely not a combo.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:58 PM

thanks. There's a guy on AVS stating that he got the COMBO for $19.99 and is all excited because this proves that combo prices have dropped.
others think he's insane.

weird, Peter bracke mentions in his review here that the HDdvd is a combo...

The Video: Sizing Up the Picture

Well, at least 'The Wicker Man' looks good. This is another one of Warner's HD DVD-to-Blu-ray replicants, where they simply take the original HD DVD encode and slap it on a Blu-ray disc -- identical bitrate and all -- and voila, two releases for the price of one. So the video quality of the two releases is frame-for-frame identical. (Note that this HD DVD version is a combo disc, with a standard-def DVD version on the flip.)

Is there any way to ask Mr. Bracke..?

Last edited by Dave Mack; 02-01-2007 at 09:05 PM.