Star Trek TOS - First Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-14-2007, 09:53 AM

Thumbs up Star Trek TOS - First Review

Here is Ryan's review of Star Trek TOS - The Complete First Season:

http://www.hidefpreview.com/Star%20Trek%20S1.html

~Josh
Old 11-14-2007, 09:59 AM

How can PQ get a 4 if it "After an exhaustive day watching this set, I have to say I was a bit letdown by the picture quality. The image was VERY grainy, almost to the point where certain people/objects seemed slightly out of focus. I also felt the colors; especially the reds were over saturated. The colors seemed artificial at times... it just did not meet my expectations for picture quality."

That doesnt make sense to me.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:34 AM

Hmm, I would like to see a review of the japanese, 16/9 reframed discs. Those are the ones I'm really waiting for (in those, the new shots are uncropped, while the live action is - in the US version, new shots are cropped while live action is square just like it always have been).
Old 11-14-2007, 11:37 AM

why would one want to crop the 4:3 image? it'll be so cramped after the tops and bottoms are lopped off!
Old 11-14-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.hidefpreview.com
Star Trek: The Original Series
–The Complete First Season
Paramount Home Entertainment
Released: 11/20/07
Review By: Ryan James

Picture Quality – 4/5
Audio Quality – 4.5/5
Special Features - 4/5
Overall – 4.25/5

Comments: This new release of Star Trek TOS is solid. It comes in by far the best packaging we have seen thus far in the HDM world. The set contains 10 individual Combo DVD/HD-DVD discs with a nice booklet of information all housed in a nice clear case.

This set is presented in 4x3 and I listened using the Dolby TrueHD option. After an exhaustive day watching this set, I have to say I was a bit letdown by the picture quality. The image was VERY grainy, almost to the point where certain people/objects seemed slightly out of focus. I also felt the colors; especially the reds were over saturated. The colors seemed artificial at times. I do however feel the updated special effects shots looked natural and not artificial. They seemed to fit the style of the filming. Since this release is of a 40 year old television show the best I have to compare it to was “The Searchers” which was released earlier this year. I really feel that “The Searchers” has superior picture quality to this Star Trek release. This is probably due to what Paramount had to work with, with Star Trek. I by no means feel Paramount skimped in effort with this release, in-fact it is clear they put in a lot of effort to make this the best it can be. However it just did not meet my expectations for picture quality.

As mentioned earlier, I listened using the Dolby TrueHD option and simply put, Star Trek TOS has never sounded even near this good! The dialog sounds wonderful and completely dominates the center channel. The surrounds also get a nice bit of action, albeit not as frequently as one may have hoped for. From time to time the surrounds created the feel of objects heading in your direction, to the point where you felt like you had to move out of the way. I also feel the Left and Right channels were used to perfection as they completed the overall surround feel with various echo’s and sound effects which were perfectly presented. I am very surprised by the sound quality of this release, especially considering it is from 40 years a go. Paramount worked some magic here!

This set is also full of some great special features. My personal favorite was a special feature called “Starfleet Access Feature.” With this feature turned on, small icons appear on the right side of your screen and you can click on these icons during the viewing of the show and receive additional information and even trivia about what you are seeing on screen. This really is a nice special feature.
There is also a nice feature of Billy Blackburn’s home movies, which show a lot of behind the scenes footage with narration from Billy, of the original series. Finally there is a nice featurette of the making of this set and the restoration process used in the process. Again it proves that Paramount placed A LOT of effort in to this release.

All in all this is a very nice overall presentation from Paramount. All though I was a bit letdown by the picture quality, the rest of the release was EXCELLENT. It truly is an entertaining and history-filled trip through the world of Star Trek. If you are a fan of Star Trek, especially Star Trek TOS, I highly recommend this purchase, even considering its hefty price tag.
So is this a real review or someone who just pieced together things they read on the Internet. There isn't really anything new in this review that I haven't already read somewhere else except where he says "The image was VERY grainy, almost to the point where certain people/objects seemed slightly out of focus" which seems very strange since these show on still on TV and they are not so grainy that makes things look out of focus.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:53 PM

God, I can't believe Beatboy is here too. It's depressing.

They are tearing up this guy(the reviewer) over at AVS as well. It's important to note that pretty much all HD DVD reviews from that site are generally more than a bit off.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:43 PM

Regarding cropping, here is how it goes for the Star Trek TOS new version masters :

US discs :

- Live action is untouched, as it always was, 4/3 - 1.33
- All the new SFX shots are cropped from 1.77 to 1.33. These SFX shots were shot in 1.77. Don't ask me why

Japan discs :

- Live action is reframed in 1.77 from the 1.33 masters.
I have no idea why they didn't simply went back to the negatives, and retransfered them in 1.66 using the safe areas, that should result in results akin to the first three Bonds HD remasters. (ie full image on any 16/9 display, with the tiny black bars on the border in the overscan area). That would have make the perfect version for the future, with minimal north and south loss and further east and west image. (all 4/3 version are zoomboxed inside the negative area).
- The new SFX shots, are uncut uncropped, full 1.77, as they have been originally shot.

Of course, I have not seen the japan box set yet. This is based on known info from the Star Trek sites.

Note : it's seems that X-Box downloads are an hybrid version of those, featuring uncropped 1.33 live action switching to 1.77 whenever there's a new SFX shot inserted !
Old 11-14-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posters5 View Post
why would one want to crop the 4:3 image? it'll be so cramped after the tops and bottoms are lopped off!
There is a good chance if it was shot on film, it actually is widescreen, but it was framed to 4:3 for television.

If they recaptured the film, they could keep the film stocks original AR. Chances are though, since their target was 4:3 television, it was framed as such, so at widescreen the action would be concentrated on the center of the frame.

Modern movies are shot the same way. Watch the behind the scenes video of the DI work on Se7en. They frame it 1.85:1, but they are also recording full-perf above and below the frame. This lets you literally move the frame up and down to adjust the headroom in post
Old 11-14-2007, 02:13 PM

hidefpreview is the worst site ever, sorry man i'm sure you mean well and you put effort into what you do but i'll stick with my digest.. churrs
Old 11-14-2007, 02:28 PM

so someone that reviews discs on the Xbox 360 add-on was able to get the world's 1st review of this title? OK.