Alternative options to replace combo format. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-14-2007, 06:57 AM

Default Alternative options to replace combo format.

I admit my bias...I hate the combo discs!! I know there are those who like it...but I think it is a waste of disc space and money. Here are a couple of possible alternatives:

1) Having the latest firmware on the other side of the hd disc. I dont know if it is possible, but I think this would be a great idea. Why cant Toshiba and the studios work together and make sure that if a certain movie is coming out with some features that may need a firmware upgrade, it will be avaible on the disc?? Right out of the case. This would save time for the consumer and it would be a peace of mind knowing that once you buy a certain hd movie, you will be able to play it the day you bought it because you have the firmware on the disc itself.

2) Put additional content on the other side of the hd disc. Whether it be web enabled content, exclusive, or interactive games.

So...what do you think my fellow red brothers?? Are these ideas possible and if so...what is your take on it?? Anybody else have any other options to replace the combo format??
Old 11-14-2007, 07:38 AM

Firmware updates aren't usually needed. HD DVD was a finished spec after all. Playback issues that have been fixed in previous updates are most likely due to bugs in the players. These can't be predicted so shipping with the firmware on the disc isn't an option.

Web enabled content and interactive games are a bit gimmicky but if they are packaged as part of the extras there is no reason they can't be on the normal side of the disc.

The only thing that should be on the flip side is the artwork. The real alternative to combos is DVD-5 and HD DVD on the same side.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:59 AM

How about just having a SD disk in the box.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carljmi View Post
How about just having a SD disk in the box.
That will never happen, because if they put in a Sdcopy of the movie, the buyer can just give that copy away or sell it, so the studio will lose a sale.

Drop HD DVD or lower the price, so that SD-buyers actually will buy HD DVDs insted if SD-versions.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:29 PM

I like the combos for collector box sets such as the Star Trek TOS Season 1. For regular movie releases they should just have both combo and non-combo options day and date. Give the consumer the option to purchase the slightly higher priced combo or not.