Just got back from the HD Star Trek presentation - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-14-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Just got back from the HD Star Trek presentation

As many of you know, select theatres across the US aired Star Trek "The Menagerie" in HD. I went to one of them that was in my Sacramento area. First of all, I was surprised at how full the room was - I had been expecting more of a nich crowd - maybe it was, but it was a pretty full niche crowd in that case

Anyways, both before and after they pretty heavily promoted the HD DVD release as well as clearly pointing out that it was a combo disc and would also player in standard DVD players. The showing itself was very nice. Obviously the sets were dated, but the detail was excellent. The added affects certainly improved the overall feel, even though they blended in very well, felt very natural.

They also previewed season 2 coming out on HD DVD in 2008 - I don't even have season 1 yet, but I already want season 2...

My main point though is that this was pretty much an ad for HD DVD targeted at a very specific audience. It certainly got me excited, even though I was already sold before even going.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:47 AM
Special Member

Well that good to hear . I just hope that this "experiment" with a combo only release goes well and that studios soon follow this model. I heard good things over at AVS as well about the quality of the release. They said the only thing lacking was remixed sound, but with something this old I wouldn't expect "amazing" 7.1 surround sound.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:15 AM

I plan on picking this up. I don't own any of the Original series on DVD and this is as good a place as any to start. The set should be a boon for the HD camp, seeing as how all sales will be cound as HDM sales.

I can't imagine it not doing well seeing as all of the original DVD release were priced similiarly when first released and sold well from what I remember hearing.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:55 AM

Great stuff! I envy you for having this gem at the cinemas
Old 11-14-2007, 03:59 AM

You lucky devil!
Old 11-14-2007, 04:33 AM

im not sure if I should get this. Im not a huge Star Trek fan (I love Star Wars if you cant tell from my sn) but have watched alot of the latest Star Trek tv series so I think I would like this but it is quite a lot of money to put down for something im not sure about. Might rent the 1st disk and if i love it I will buy it
Old 11-14-2007, 04:39 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Greg View Post
im not sure if I should get this. Im not a huge Star Trek fan (I love Star Wars if you cant tell from my sn) but have watched alot of the latest Star Trek tv series so I think I would like this but it is quite a lot of money to put down for something im not sure about. Might rent the 1st disk and if i love it I will buy it
Star Trek TOS IMO is different then the newer shows. Its not worse just different. While I can watch them when they are on TV, ATM I cant see myself buying this as of yet. If they released the movies that would be another story though. If you have watched the repeats on TV and can get into the show, but actually never watched a number of them, then I would recommend it.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:39 AM

unfortunately, the new hd dvd/dvd combo set won't have the original versions without the new special effects. it would've been nice to see restored, re-mastered versions of the true originals.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posters5 View Post
unfortunately, the new hd dvd/dvd combo set won't have the original versions without the new special effects. it would've been nice to see restored, re-mastered versions of the true originals.
I have no problem with this at all. The point of this restoration was to make the show a little more accessible to younger audiences which the new effects work goes a long way toward doing. Besides, the new discs have a PiP bonus feature which shows the original effects shots alongside the new shots, And for the most part, the effects team has tried to emulate the look and feel of the original work.

I went to the presentation last night as well, and I must say there was a good amount of buzz among the audience about picking up the set after watching the Menagerie.

Yancy
Old 11-14-2007, 09:41 AM

i'm aware of the reasons for updating the special effects, but "star trek: the original series" (like any other show) was a product of its time. new computer-generated effects make the show feel like a hodge-podge of this-and-that eras. besides, it'll take more than new visual effects to get younger viewers acclimated to the costumes, the sets, the hairstyles, the acting, etc.