Any word on when Shrek 3 Review will be up? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-12-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Any word on when Shrek 3 Review will be up?

Just a question as to when we should be expecting the HD-DVD review. On the fence about this one, was waiting for word on the transfer.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

If all you interested in knowing is what the transfer will be like, I think you already know what to expect. It's a computer animated movie. If it gets anything below 4 I'd be shocked!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 06:53 PM

Default shrek

Should be top notch video, it better be. Not sure if its a lossy track or lossless, but being on HD DVD, I can probably only hope for a lossy one .

Why did I never see an add for the HD DVD version?? I see the ad saying, Own Shrek 3 on DVD!!, Nothing mentioning HD DVD. Meanwhile, Ratatouille not only mentions it, but states how you can only own it in high def on BluRay. Poor marketing on dreamworks part.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:00 PM

Shrek 3 is a short-ass film, Micker. This isn't King Kong we're talking about here. This is 92 minutes. If they don't include a lossless track, that'd be pretty lame and more a decision from Paramount than a restriction due to the size of HD DVD. Batman Begins is 140 minutes long and looks great plus has TrueHD. The Departed is 151 minutes long and looks great plus has TrueHD. I think it's more about Paramount than anything else really.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:11 PM
O_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micker View Post
Should be top notch video, it better be. Not sure if its a lossy track or lossless, but being on HD DVD, I can probably only hope for a lossy one .
Everytime you post on HD topics, it's to take a cheapshot whether that means suggesting a movie can't have lossless audio due to "disc space limitations" or now that we can "only hope for lossy." You know it's Dolby Digital Plus, and every HDM title has at least a lossy track.

Last edited by Geonosis; 11-12-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:34 PM

I garentee tonight at 1 or tommorrow in the day..its a first rate title.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geonosis View Post
Everytime you post on HD topics, it's to take a cheapshot whether that means suggesting a movie can't have lossless audio due to "disc space limitations" or now that we can "only hope for lossy." You know it's Dolby Digital Plus, and every HDM title has at least a lossy track.
Because I get pissed off everytime I know I have to buy a movie on HD DVD and it gets a DD+ track. I can assume with bluray, I am gonna get a lossless track, unless it was a paramount movie. I am bluray biased because of this. I like toshiba, I have a 62" toshiba tv and an A2 hd dvd player. I just don't like the feeling that a movie is gonna be shortchanged in anyway, because hd dvd doesn't have the space or bitrate for it. You think I would give a crap if hd dvd held say 40gb and its max bitrate was a bit higher?? I just think hd dvd is a little too small of a media for some movies and its stupid that I have to buy both.

I beleive that bluray is the better media, no question about that, but I would run down the street naked with HD DVD written all over my body, if it suddenly held more data and had a higher bitrate then bluray.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:07 PM
O_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micker View Post
Because I get pissed off everytime I know I have to buy a movie on HD DVD and it gets a DD+ track. I can assume with bluray, I am gonna get a lossless track, unless it was a paramount movie. I am bluray biased because of this. I like toshiba, I have a 62" toshiba tv and an A2 hd dvd player. I just don't like the feeling that a movie is gonna be shortchanged in anyway, because hd dvd doesn't have the space or bitrate for it. You think I would give a crap if hd dvd held say 40gb and its max bitrate was a bit higher?? I just think hd dvd is a little too small of a media for some movies and its stupid that I have to buy both.

I beleive that bluray is the better media, no question about that, but I would run down the street naked with HD DVD written all over my body, if it suddenly held more data and had a higher bitrate then bluray.
There is a great topic about bitrate and codecs versus what you see, good read I recommend it. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in specs, and focus more on the picture. Don't like the specs? I guess don't buy the movie is the easiest option.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:49 PM

if the DD+ track is the same as the studio master, then why waste the money on a True HD track
Old 11-12-2007, 10:12 PM

paramount and dreamworks animation told its home-video rep to sit on all screeners until today (monday) so that the screeners will be delivered on or after tuesday (street date). this is a lousy decision because retailers and rental outlets usually have titles in stock at least a week in advance, and whatever theft of physical discs or ripping piracy will have occurred already. meanwhile, reviewers who want to avoid seeing their flow of screeners stopped aren't in the habit of uploading movies.