King Kong EE and Gladiator? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-12-2007, 04:37 PM

Default King Kong EE and Gladiator?

The only thing stopping me buying King Kong Extended edition on DVD was King Kong HD DVD was bundled with the HD DVD Drive.

Is there any news of this boxset coming out?

With Dreamworks now a HD DVD exclusive, are we getting Gladiator or Extended Edition soon?
Old 11-12-2007, 04:43 PM

I actually watched King Kong on standard DVD last night and I had forgotten how great it looks. Mind you, I was watching from 10 feet away on just a 23 inch monitor, but it still looked incredible for a standard DVD. And this was not upconverted since my monitor is not HDCP compliant. However, I heard the KK HD DVD had zero special features. I bought the 2-disc special edition DVD when the movie originally came to home video and it really has some great special features. It's weird that they didn't just put the second disc in there for the HD DVD release.

And I agree with you about Gladiator. I'd love it if it was released on high def!
Old 11-12-2007, 05:11 PM
O_o

KK is Universal, and Gladiator EE on HD DVD would be great. I am sure we will see some major landmark releases like Titanic, Gladiator, Shrek 1 and 2, Prince of Egypt, Braveheart and more in 2008.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:30 PM

the "king kong" hd dvd has a PIP video stream, so it's not entirely devoid of extras. many of the sd dvd featurettes re-appear within the PIP stream.

i've read that ridley scott, like spielberg, prefers blu-ray over hd dvd, so his participation in an hd dvd release of "gladiator" may be iffy.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
However, I heard the KK HD DVD had zero special features.
i believe it has picture in picture features during the movie and that's it
Old 11-12-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I actually watched King Kong on standard DVD last night and I had forgotten how great it looks. Mind you, I was watching from 10 feet away on just a 23 inch monitor, but it still looked incredible for a standard DVD. And this was not upconverted since my monitor is not HDCP compliant. However, I heard the KK HD DVD had zero special features. I bought the 2-disc special edition DVD when the movie originally came to home video and it really has some great special features. It's weird that they didn't just put the second disc in there for the HD DVD release.

And I agree with you about Gladiator. I'd love it if it was released on high def!
If you live in the UK, the King Kong EE now cost 10.

I am missing so much out because the film contains extra monster scenes. Not only that but the extras tell us what he had planned for his original King Kong film.

I am so tempted.

As for Ridley Scott. Hopefully with Blade Runner, he may actually take a closer look at the format war.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:37 PM
O_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by posters5 View Post
the "king kong" hd dvd has a PIP video stream, so it's not entirely devoid of extras. many of the sd dvd featurettes re-appear within the PIP stream.

i've read that ridley scott, like spielberg, prefers blu-ray over hd dvd, so his participation in an hd dvd release of "gladiator" may be iffy.
I've never read an article that quoted them directly, just keep hearing what others have heard. Although it's really immaterial, they both go where the money is. Blade Runner, one of his greatest is hitting HD DVD, which has a few extras that BD doesn't.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geonosis View Post
KK is Universal, and Gladiator EE on HD DVD would be great. I am sure we will see some major landmark releases like Titanic, Gladiator, Shrek 1 and 2, Prince of Egypt, Braveheart and more in 2008.
And perhaps the greatest of them all, Godfather I and II? We can only hope!
Old 11-12-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
And perhaps the greatest of them all, Godfather I and II? We can only hope!
The Godfather trilogy, Saving Private Ryan, War of the Worlds and Indiana Jones Collection are all listed for HD DVD on amazon.com and all of these are definite buys for me
Old 11-12-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Greg View Post
The Godfather trilogy, Saving Private Ryan, War of the Worlds and Indiana Jones Collection are all listed for HD DVD on amazon.com and all of these are definite buys for me
I would definitely get the Indiana Jones collection because I currently do not own it. My parents own it, but my aunt got the full screen DVD trilogy for my dad as a Christmas present and full screen = crap to me so...

Godfather is a must-buy of course. I've never actually seen Saving Private Ryan (prepares for flaming lol), and I have not seen WOTW either but I don't really have much interest in that one to begin with.