Question on HD-DVD Menu's - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-08-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Question on HD-DVD Menu's

Of the 4 free movies I have so far, 3 use a side menu that to me seems reminiscent of MS XBox360 slide out tabs. Only 300 is different with a bottom menu. It looked cool on Born Identity. Does this mean that the Cool interactive menu's designed to fit the movies, on the realy good ones are a thing of the past?? That would be sad as I was looking forward to all this interactive features etc. As for HDDVD vs Blueray is it the same for them?? Will the menu's be better for movies that come out in HD versus recaned?? or are we doomed to borin menus untill the end of the format war, because comapnies are thinking in terms of eventual portability. Or i notice that most Blu-ray seem to lack HD extra's and in some cases only get the movie. How are Blu-ray menus??
I bought a HDDVD, because with the Tosh being 3rdegn and 2 movies in box, plus 2 movies of my choice for $200 with 5 free for total of 9 movies. (Read some got the dha3 for $100 with same deal because BB was maching a sail on hda2 and ran out. replaced back orders with the hda3).
Old 11-08-2007, 06:30 PM

It's more of a company thing:

Universal uses those side menus

Warner uses the bottom menus

Paramount uses very SD DVD-ish menus(I'm with you, I like those the most)

As for Interactive Menus, Universal's "U-Control" is exactly that: Icons pop up on the side of the screen, which you can choose to select or not, and if you do, various things like PiP commentary will come up.

Transformers also has some very cool interactive menus like the downloadable "Intelligence" mode and the "Transormers HUD". Warner's In-Movie Experience is also very impressive, especially with stuff like 300's "blue-screen" PiP commentary.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:30 PM

Here's how I rank the menu systems:

1. Warner's from-the-bottom menus. They are accessible during the movie and don't take up much more space than what's needed to fit the text. Many times the menu doesn't even cover up any of the movie. Disc goes straight into the movie when loaded.

2. Universal's from-the-left menus. They are accessible during the movie, but they oftentimes take up more space since it's a verticle menu with horizontal text. Covers up half of the picture sometimes. Disc stops at the menu before waiting for a prompt to start the movie when loaded. (Not to mention the unskippable Universal logo video at boot-up).

3. Paramount's DVD-like menus. You have to leave the movie to get to the menu. Feels very "last-gen".
Old 11-09-2007, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man5 View Post
It's more of a company thing:

Universal uses those side menus

Warner uses the bottom menus

Paramount uses very SD DVD-ish menus(I'm with you, I like those the most)

As for Interactive Menus, Universal's "U-Control" is exactly that: Icons pop up on the side of the screen, which you can choose to select or not, and if you do, various things like PiP commentary will come up.

Transformers also has some very cool interactive menus like the downloadable "Intelligence" mode and the "Transormers HUD". Warner's In-Movie Experience is also very impressive, especially with stuff like 300's "blue-screen" PiP commentary.
I will have to check out Transformers then, But I hope some companies mix it up, it would be easy to do in movie menu'ws that don't all look the same according to company. Do all Universal have U control? Also weird is that there is no zoom button on my remote, but one of the Movies Forget which one had a zoom feature assigned to the A button. I have to get a router for my room, so I have an extra network port. Have there been any updates for the HDA3? or does it tell you? How many HDDVD's have online extras?
Old 11-09-2007, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digicatz View Post
Do all Universal have U control??
Not all, but most of the newer titles do.

Quote:
Also weird is that there is no zoom button on my remote, but one of the Movies Forget which one had a zoom feature assigned to the A button.
All HD DVD units can do this, regardless if they have a key for it on the remote or not. Just go in to the "Settings" menu on the disc and you can choose "Zoom".

Quote:
I have to get a router for my room, so I have an extra network port. Have there been any updates for the HDA3? or does it tell you?
The HD-A3 is a new model, so I'm not sure if they've released the first firmware update for it or not, but this is the site I use to get all the newest firmware:

http://209.167.114.38/support/ceg/downloads/index.asp

If you go in to your player's "setup" menu and go to "Update" it'll tell you what version you have, and if you're connected to the internet you can even download the newest one(takes *forever* though). Using the above link you can simply download the ISO image, burn it and update the player in less than 10 minutes(the download, plus install can take up to a whopping 45 minutes).

Quote:
How many HDDVD's have online extras?
Not a whole lot, but more are coming, in fact Bourne Ultimatum is said to have some, as will Rush Hour 3. Right now, the four that have online features worth looking at are Evan Almighty, Knocked Up, Heroes Season 1 and Transformers. Blood Diamond and 300 have some, but they really blow(imo).