Combo's and their hidden benefit - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-07-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Combo's and their hidden benefit

I've often wondered why CE manufacturers haven't embraced combo's and their hidden benefit. Perhaps they are too stubborn to see it?

If all titles were released in HD DVD on Combos (or in the future Twins) at the same price as regular HD DVD titles or even better, closer to DVD prices, wouldn't we see DVD owners buying them even without owning an HDTV?

If they did this, wouldn't they eventually build up a collection of HD DVD titles and want to make the most of them? Wouldn't this lead to HD TV sales?

I realize a lot of pieces would need to come together for this to happen, but its just one of the big benefits I could see with combo's.

The other big benefit is for retailers. Right now, shelf space is taken up by DVD's, HD DVD's and Blu-ray's. In some cases, 1 movie is taking up 3 spaces. Don't Combo's also benefit retailers by potentially (if DVD's weren't released due to combos) eliminating shelf space and having one space instead of 2 or 3 for a title?

How can stores and CE Manufacturers not see the bigger picture?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:00 PM

the problem is that consumer-electronics firms aren't the ones releasing dvds/hd dvds/blu-ray discs. with the big exception of sony, media congloms aren't really in the business of making media hardware.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:02 PM

I like Combos. I wish they werent 5 bucks xtra but I like them.

If Blu rays were combos, Id buy them also that away if I ever went blu, i would have it in HD.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:54 PM

combos are a pain in the ass if you have the HD DVD addon
Old 11-07-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkiller View Post
It's probably just certain add-ons. Mine never has had problems with combos.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:47 PM

this here is 100% percent the only answer that can be....there is not the production compacity....to make 15 million copies...because transformers alone sold 4 million dvd copies the first week......warners and paramount and universal are probably selling 100 million plus dvd's a year....the problem with dvd is after the first month...the pricing power is gone they can no longer get msrp and it down hill from there...hd dvd and bluray would be like xbox 360 or ps3 a new cycle of pricing power...if all of a sudden they had to sell hd dvd pr bluray at dvd price points....then what the purpose its much better cost per item in dvd no need to have next cycle to get prices back up to profit levels.....the only reason were even having this conversation is because there is a dual market hd dvd and bluray if it were only one the pricing power would take a more nautral price lowering...only 1.5 years and were already 3rd gen players...and players are almost prices of dvd and hd dvd and bluray disc are close to sometimes cheaper then dvd's.......but yes if unv, war and par sold only combo disc yes the war would be over and hd dvd would win but then they would lose there new cycle of pricing power......
Old 11-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Special Member

I think the companies see the value of combos and thats why they are still releasing on them. What I think will eventually happen is that you will only see combos. From what I have read the 1st of these "combo only" releases is Star Trek. I believe they are going to watch that and see how it sells and go off of that. If anything it will be a slow gradual turnover, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see more releases that are "combo only" instead of separate releases .
Old 11-08-2007, 02:49 AM

I am happy I have them. I have an ordinary vcr/dvd tv in my bedroom and don't want to spend more money on an HDTV for watching movies in my bed. So thankfully for some, they come.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshulman View Post
I've often wondered why CE manufacturers haven't embraced combo's and their hidden benefit. Perhaps they are too stubborn to see it?

If all titles were released in HD DVD on Combos (or in the future Twins) at the same price as regular HD DVD titles or even better, closer to DVD prices, wouldn't we see DVD owners buying them even without owning an HDTV?

If they did this, wouldn't they eventually build up a collection of HD DVD titles and want to make the most of them? Wouldn't this lead to HD TV sales?

I realize a lot of pieces would need to come together for this to happen, but its just one of the big benefits I could see with combo's.

The other big benefit is for retailers. Right now, shelf space is taken up by DVD's, HD DVD's and Blu-ray's. In some cases, 1 movie is taking up 3 spaces. Don't Combo's also benefit retailers by potentially (if DVD's weren't released due to combos) eliminating shelf space and having one space instead of 2 or 3 for a title?

How can stores and CE Manufacturers not see the bigger picture?

While I can see the benefit of combos, I'm not particularly fond of them. I'd much prefer to have the choice of picking between an HD-DVD/DVD version, and saving some money by buying just the HD-DVD version. It would be nice if that choice was there for the consumer, but I'm not really complaining.

The nice thing is that you can lend a combo disc to friends or relatives that don't already have the movie, but the amount of times that I've done that is zero times. So for me personally, I'd just like the choice to be able to pick from one or the other. It's a small nitpick, and it would just be nice if that was considered in the future plans.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkiller View Post
I have the add on. But don't own any combos. Whats the problem with them?