Why is Paramount dragging their feet on... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-06-2007, 03:42 AM

Default Why is Paramount dragging their feet on...

Why is Paramount dragging their feet on bringing the Star Trek films to HD DVD? I'm sure we're all aware of the new film that's scheduled for release on Christmas Day 2008 but I don't know why Paramount is waiting on getting the Star Trek film franchise out on HD. With the format war in full swing I would think that most companies would want their heavy-hitters out to make a dent in the competition. Here's to hoping for news for '08.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:10 AM
Banned

Paramount is always slow to release catalog titles on a new format it took the largest letter righting campaign in DVD history to get them to release Braveheart.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:33 AM

They're probably waiting until after they milk everyone for the original series collections @ $140 a season.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickherum View Post
I'm sure we're all aware of the new film that's scheduled for release on Christmas Day 2008
I think you've answered your own question as to when Paramount are most likely to release their back catalogue of Star Trek films!!
Old 11-06-2007, 07:31 AM

the movies probably have to be re-mastered all over again. take a look at the 2-disc editions of the TNG movies; they're littered with dust and print damage.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posters5 View Post
the movies probably have to be re-mastered all over again. take a look at the 2-disc editions of the TNG movies; they're littered with dust and print damage.
I think they were all remastered a few years ago for the 2 disc collectors editions they brought out on the first 4 I think.

It wouldnt surprise me if they do one a month leading up to the new movie. They are smart enough to know that releasing them that way makes it easier for them to be bought.

Some of them could also be in the 30 movies Paramount have announced they have ready to roll so far for 2008 which will probably get announced at CES.

As I said these 30 are probably Q1 & Q2 titles so no reason to believe Paramount wouldnt throw in a 'must purchase' HD DVD Wrath of Kahn
Old 11-06-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimboli View Post
I think they were all remastered a few years ago for the 2 disc collectors editions they brought out on the first 4 I think.
not really.

the first movie was re-mastered as it was a complete re-cut. however, this was several years ago, so it could benefit from a new high-def transfer.

some of the movies that were non-anamorphic as single-disc releases were re-mastered in anamorphic widescreen, but they weren't cleaned up.

the newer movies (that were already anamorphic widescreen as single-disc releases) simply got more breathing room in the two-disc sets.

(i worked for startrek.com.)
Old 11-06-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posters5 View Post
not really.

the first movie was re-mastered as it was a complete re-cut. however, this was several years ago, so it could benefit from a new high-def transfer.

some of the movies that were non-anamorphic as single-disc releases were re-mastered in anamorphic widescreen, but they weren't cleaned up.

the newer movies (that were already anamorphic widescreen as single-disc releases) simply got more breathing room in the two-disc sets.

(i worked for startrek.com.)
Star Trek II was also a new master. The original DVD was the movie's theatrical cut, but the Collector's Edition was the extended cut.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:25 AM

As long as they bring a nice version of "Once upon a time in the west" and "The Godfather Trilogy"...they can take longer...but I want them by the end of next year!!!
Old 11-06-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Star Trek II was also a new master. The original DVD was the movie's theatrical cut, but the Collector's Edition was the extended cut.
yes, josh...as i wrote: "some of the movies that were non-anamorphic as single-disc releases were re-mastered in anamorphic widescreen, but they weren't cleaned up."